25. confronting the past

25 | "It was you?"

25 | "It was you?"

Today was the day.

I was either going to get past all the obstacles while not having to explain myself, or I would have to get a migraine trying to avoid all the apologies.

I already know things aren't going to go my way because no matter how much makeup, elegant clothing, and personality change could cover me, they were still going to see right through me. I was going to be the child that they saw a decade ago, changed and aged. Although I don't know what response I'll get from them, I'm afraid I'd hate hearing it.

"Alright, all done," Yuri said, leaning back. I looked in her small mirror, seeing the subtle makeup she did for me. I smiled, nodding approvingly, before looking at her. "I tried to make it look less clown-like and more natural. However, no matter what, you still look like... well, you–just developed. I'm afraid that there's no helping it."

I frown, shrugging. "It's fine," It wasn't. "I'll have to tell your brother soon enough."

"Speaking of Heeseung, he's still pissed that you left with Sunoo a few days ago," She bit her lower lip, soon smirking. "Say, what did you guys talk about? Why did he pull you away like that? Did he threaten you? Did you guys–"

I place my palm over her cheek, pushing her back. Her face smushes with my hand, and Yuri glares at me for the rude gesture. I let go, feigning innocence by avoiding her stare. "You're already acting like a younger sister to me! Nothing happened between us. We aren't friends anymore, but we've moved on peacefully. Do you understand?"

"Not a thing," God, Yuri. "But if you guys say you're on good terms, I'll say the crisis is averted–" Her phone buzzes, and so, she picks it up. I wait for her to say something as she types and sends a message back. "Heeseung said he's waiting for us at the front entrance. I told him to give us a minute but okay."

I chuckle at her answer, helping her clean up the makeup and shove it in her pouch. Of course, I felt a bit irritated that Heeseung didn't text me instead, but I wasn't entirely bothered–I figure I deserve it. Yuri chats about something, but the heartbeat that pumps into my eardrums stops me from listening. I was too nervous.