28. head-on collision

28 | "You and my brother have a future together

28 | "You and my brother have a future together. You just have to pursue it."

"If we need to, I will avoid you

"If we need to, I will avoid you. Please don't live your life hiding from me because we're acquaintances. I will do the best I can for you to stay comfortable."

He definitely stood true to that statement. Every time we were in class, he wouldn't bat an eye, nevertheless speak. What used to be competition or romance, dissolved–he lived his life as much as he could being separated from me. It was like a knife was lunged into my throat every time he passed by; I could seize every opportunity, but I was held back.

I've tried to get him to notice me, like staring, but when it's obvious, he becomes stoic and wears a cold expression. Nobody can get through his thick skull, and it's irritating to watch him throw everybody off because he's angry. If only I could hit him and make the skull break–!

No, I shouldn't say that. I miss him too bad to say such mean things.

Yuri continues to urge me to say something, or even come over and talk to him there, but I just can't. He has already stated that we want to be acquaintances, which means... we aren't dating anymore. Even then, being his girlfriend doesn't give me the right to pester him endlessly for forgiveness.

"Maybe he's still angry. You know how he gets. He says stuff he doesn't mean. Actually, you know that well, sister-in-law!"

"I'm not your sister-in-law, silly. We're not getting married, let alone in a romantic relationship I suppose," Yuri pouts, nudging me. "What? Tell me, if someone called you their acquaintance, especially someone you've been romantically involved with, you'd take the hint, right!?"

"I... would," I sigh out of frustration, making her panic as she takes a sip of her bubble tea. "But, But...! This is different, Hayoon. You guys had something special! Like, uh–what's the Disney movie–Tangled! Like Flynn Rider and Rapunzel, except you're not blonde and he doesn't smolder..."

I wasn't amused, taking another sip of bubble tea. Yuri was tempting me, but I refused to make it work. She slammed the cup down, pointing at me. "How about you ask him to Prom? You know, female supremacy? Why wait for him when you can–"