27 - reunion

It took you guys another hour just to reach the outskirts of the city. People around here were poor and desperate, since living in the inner district was reserved for the rich.

Hence why, theft was a common occurrence here. "This place has really gone through hell." Jorge commented as you pushed through the crowd of people, your fingers interlaced with Thomas' in fear of being separated.

"We just gotta stay together." He answered before he was interrupted by a man on a megaphone.

"We are the voice of the voiceless. They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves while they watch the rest of us wither and rot! But there are more of us than there are of them! And I say we rise up, and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!"

On one of the trucks sat a man that watched you as they drove by. You frowned upon seeing his lingering stare, crossing your arms over your chest.

Above, drones were flying and scanning the protesting people. You followed after Thomas through the crowd of people. "That's it! That's our way in!" he exclaimed.

"What the hell did we get ourselves into?" Fry asked. You held onto Thomas' hand and Fry's sleeve, giving you a kind of reassurance that you wouldn't get lost.

When you reached the front of the crowd, Newt pulled Thomas back by his jacket. "Hey, guys, we gotta go now. Look." Newt spoke, pointing behind himself where men with gas masks were approaching you.

Just before you readied yourself to run away, huge guns appeared on top of the walls and started shooting into the crowd. People screamed and ran away.

Just when you thought you'd escaped, you were grabbed by one of the men and shoved into a truck with Fry and Newt. You tried escaping, but it was no use.

You stayed close to Newt, who put his arm around you in reassurance. They took you away without a hint to what they planned to do with you.

After what felt like an eternity, the doors behind you opened and you could walk out. From the other van, grunting and incoherent words were heard.

Suddenly, a man was kicked out of the back, Jorge and Thomas being the ones who kicked the guy. "Where are they, you son of a bitch?" Jorge asked, punching the man.

While Brenda ran up to him to show him she was okay, Thomas looked around frantically to find you. He spotted you next to Newt and ran up to you, pulling you close by the waist.

"You okay?" He asked, placing his hand on your cheek. "Yeah. You?" he nodded in response, pulling away slightly so Jorge could ruffle your hair.

"You okay, hija?" he asked, smiling at you as if he didn't just punch a guy. You nodded, pulling his hand away from your head and raking your fingers through your hair.

"Everybody calm down. We're all on the same side here." the guy from earlier said. "What do you mean same side? Who the hell are you?" Thomas asked, looking at him.

Sighing, he took the mask he was wearing off, revealing a familiar face you thought you'd never see again.

"Hey, greenie."

"Gally?"

Suddenly, Thomas lunged at Gally and punched him in the face. Newt immediately ran towards him and pulled Thomas' fist back before he could hit Gally again.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Stop! Stop it!" Newt breathed, looking at your boyfriend. "He killed Chuck." Thomas spoke, out of breath.

"Yeah, I know. I remember. I was there too, all right? But I also remember that he was stung and half out of his mind. Just calm down, all right?"

Reluctantly, Thomas stood up and walked a step backwards. Gally released a breath he didn't know he was holding before looking at the hand you outstretched to help him up.

Hesitantly, he put his hand in yours, letting you pull him to his feet. "Kinda had that coming." He mumbled, snapping his jaw back in place before looking at Thomas. "Anybody else? Newt? Fry?"

"Do you know this guy?" Jorge asked, looking at Gally. "He was an old friend." Fry answered, sharing a glance with you. "How- how is this possible? We watched you die." Newt stammered.

"No, you left me to die. And if we hadn't found you when we did, you'd be dead right now. What the hell are you doing here?" Gally asked, shaking his head.

"Minho. WCKD has him here. We're looking for a way in." You explained, sharing a quick glance with your cousin. "I can help with that. Follow me." Gally said, turning around.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." Thomas argued, making you look at him. "Suit yourself. But I can get you through those walls."

Reluctantly, Thomas and the rest of you followed Gally. Thomas kept close to you, seeing several men staring at you walking by.

"After the maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realized I was immune, patched me up, and brought me here to Lawrence. This group's been at war with WCKD ever since they took control of the city. But WCKD can't hide behind those walls forever. Day's gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done. Listen, uh, he doesn't get a lot of visitors. So, let me do the talking, all right? And try not to stare." Gally informed you.

You shared a glance with everyone present before following after him and Thomas. "Gally, glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened." A man spoke up, his face showing marks only cranks had. You assumed this was Lawrence.

"It was a slaughter. There's nothing we can do against those guns." Gally spoke, shrugging his shoulders. "No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung. Now, who are these people? Why are they here?"

"We need to get into WCKD. Gally said you can get us through the walls." Thomas spoke up, ignoring Gally's advice from earlier.

"Well, Gally should know better than to make promises he can't keep. Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside WCKD is impossible."

"There might be a way now. But it doesn't work without Thomas." Gally said, nodding towards your boyfriend. You frowned at what Gally said, wondering why this plan specifically involved Thomas.

"Is that so? Do you know what I am, Thomas?" Lawrence got close to Thomas to speak into his ear. "I'm a businessman. Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?"

"Because I can help you. You see, if you can get me through those walls, I can get you what you need." Thomas explained, looking at Lawrence. "What is it that you think I need?" He asked.

"Time. Every last drop."

"Is that what I need?" Lawrence scoffed, glancing at Gally. "WCKD has something we both want." Thomas argued. "Two can go for now. The rest stay down here with me. Just a little insurance to make sure you find your way back. We have a deal?"

Thomas looked at everyone for approval before shaking Lawrence's outstretched hand.

"Gally, show him the way."