16 - escaping

Once you exited the vents, Thomas was already trying to figure out which way to go. "Okay, let's go." he spoke. "You guys go ahead. There's something I gotta do." Aris said, looking at Thomas.

"What are you talking about?" you asked, standing next to Newt. "Trust me, it's important. You guys wanna get outta here, right? Just go." Aris answered.

"I'll go with him." Winston said, following Aris back into the vents. "You sure we can trust this kid?" Minho asked. "You don't wanna know where we'd be without him."

Turning a corner, you bumped into Dr. Crawford, the woman you had the checkup with. "What are you kids doing out?" she asked with a frown.

"Searching for the toilet." you spoke, though it wasn't very convincing. Suddenly, the alarms started blaring, telling her everything she needed to know.

You started running through the facility with her. Coming to a crossing, a guard started shooting at you. "Why are they shooting at us?" Fry asked. "These bullets are probably not lethal, we're too valuable for them." you screamed back at him.

You ran the other way when Minho stopped and turned around. "Minho! What the hell are you doing?" you screamed. He started running and slammed the guard, who had just turned a corner, into the wall, knocking him unconscious.

You ran up to him, the others following after you. "Shit, Minho." Newt mumbled, looking down at the guard. You picked up the guard's gun and checked it for ammo, handing the gun to Thomas.

"Okay. Let's go. Come on. Let's go." he mumbled, pulling Dr. Crawford along. Arriving at your destination, she opened the door. "Dr. Crawford, are you here to-?"

Thomas pushed her in, gun raised. "Where is she? Where is she?!" he asked the doctors, who looked at a curtain separating the room, their hands shaking in fear.

He handed the gun to Minho before pulling the curtain aside, revealing an unconscious Teresa. "Get over! Get down!" Minho ordered, the doctors obeying.

While Thomas was helping Teresa, you, Newt and Minho tied the doctor's arms and legs together. "You're not gonna get away with this." one of the doctors spoke. "We'll see."

"Guys? They're coming! Where do we go?" Fry asked, looking through the door's window. "Frypan, move." Newt ordered before blocking the door.

"Get back! Get back! We gotta get outta here!" Minho screamed, holding the gun towards the door. At the same time, Thomas and you spotted a window behind you.

You both grabbed a chair and banged them against the glass, breaking it. Thomas and Newt crawled over immediately before Thomas helped you over as well. Minho handed the gun back to him.

When everyone was over, you started running again. Opening a door, a guard stood in your way. Thomas shot him, electrocuting the guard. Fry nodded at you, remembering that you said the bullets probably weren't lethal.

"Shit. Okay, come on!" Thomas mumbled before running again. You ran down a hallway ending in a huge door. "There it is! There it is!" Thomas spoke. Reaching the door, he swiped the card before realizing it didn't work.

"Shit! Come on! No, no, no!" he mumbled, repeatedly swiping the card. "Thomas!" Janson spoke from behind you, making him turn around.

He grabbed the gun he had handed to you when he started swiping the card, pointing it at Janson. "Open this door, Janson!" Thomas ordered while Janson put his hands up.

"You really don't want me to." he said, walking forward. "Open the damn door!" Thomas screamed again. Meanwhile, Minho was trying to swipe the card.

"Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing but you kids wouldn't last one day out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the cranks will. Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you."

"Yeah, let me guess. WCKD is good?"

Janson lowered his hands in defeat before looking at Thomas. "You're not getting through that door, Thomas." he smirked when suddenly, the door opened, revealing Aris and Winston on the other side. "Hey, guys."

"Thomas! Come on! Let's go!" Newt screamed, pulling you through the door. Thomas started shooting the entire ammo at Janson and the guards before he ran out.

He threw the gun at them before turning around and sprinting towards the door. Janson spoke into a walkie-talkie, ordering someone to close the door.

Everyone screamed at Thomas to run faster. Just before the door closed, he slid under it, stopping on his knees. While Aris broke the door, you helped Thomas to his feet.

Janson reached the door and looked through the window, staring at Thomas who gave him the finger. "You little shit." Janson spoke, glaring at the boy.

Winston grabbed a gun from one of the unconscious guards they had knocked out earlier while Minho grabbed a backpack. You started running again before finally reaching the exit.

Thomas pulled a lever. When the door opened, sand immediately flew inside. You ran out, climbing up the sand dunes. Screaming was heard in the distance, but you didn't glance back.

"Come on, go! We'll loose them in the storm!" Thomas screamed from behind you. When you were already a distance away, you lay on your stomach.

The guards neared with their quads. You continued going, Teresa in the front. "Teresa, hang on! Stay together!" Thomas screamed but she didn't listen.

"I think we lost them!" Minho exclaimed. "Keep going, guys. Let's go." Thomas spoke. "Watch out! Where are we even going?" Minho asked but didn't receive an answer.

"Over here!" Winston exclaimed. Teresa reached an abandoned looking building, climbing in through a broken window. "What the hell is this? Teresa!"

"Teresa, wait!"

"Don't go in there!"

"Get down here!" she screamed. Minho followed her inside, Aris right behind him. Next was Newt and you, him catching you once he realized you stumbled.

Minho used his flashlight to illuminate a part of the building. "Where the hell are we?" he asked once he spotted pieces of wood and trash laying around.

"We gotta go. We gotta keep moving." Thomas panicked, already searching for a way out. "No. Thomas, stop! Tell me what's going on." Teresa demanded.

"It's WCKD. It's WCKD. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count." Thomas explained before getting interrupted by Minho. "What do you mean? Dead bodies?"

"No. But they weren't alive either. They had them strung up. With tubes coming out of them. They were being- They were being drained. There's something inside of us that WCKD wants. Something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible."

"Okay. So, what's the plan? You do have a plan, right?" Newt asked. "Yeah, I don't know." Thomas mumbled, looking down to his feet as if he were a kid getting scolded.

"Well, we followed you out here, Thomas. And now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing." Newt spoke, angrily.

"Newt, calm down. It was either running away without a plan or staying with WCKD and getting experimented on. We can think of a plan." you tried calming him.

"Wait. Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army." Aris spoke up. "The Right Arm. The Right Arm. If they're really against WCKD, maybe they can help us." Thomas said, looking between you and Newt.

"People. In the mountains. Mountain People. That's your plan?" Newt asked, scoffing. "Even for me, that seems to be too risky." you said, frowning at Thomas.

"It's the only chance we have." Thomas spoke. "Hey, guys. Check this out. Minho, give me a light." Winston said. He was kneeling down a few feet away.

Minho used his flashlight to illuminate the area around Winston. On the ground, there were dozens of foot prints in the sand. "Someone's been down here."