03 - jobs

Newt brought you onto the watchtower after he showed you around. "So let me get this straight. We were sent up here without our memories but after some time you will remember your name. Alby was the first one here and outside those walls is a maze. Correct?" you asked and Newt nodded his head. "Pretty much."

You slowly sat down and dangled your feet off the edge. "This is a lot to take in, you know?" you sighed. Newt sat down next to you and dangled his feet off the edge as well.

"I know it's a lot. Usually we don't tell the greenies all this stuff at once but you seemed to take it well. I'm sorry." he apologized. "It's okay."

"Tomorrow, you're gonna work in the gardens as a track-hoe with Zart and I, then as a slicer, a builder and maybe even a runner." Newt told you before you scrunched up your nose. "I can assure you that I don't wanna be a slicer."

"I guessed that, Alby still wants you to try, though. He said we shouldn't make a difference between you and the rest of the greenies just because you're a girl." Newt explained. "Well, he's right."

"The bonfire starts soon, let's go down there." He suggested and stood up. He held his hand out for you to take, which you did. You walked to the bonfire in a comfortable silence and sat down in front of a tree trunk.

"Here, try this." Newt said and gave you a glass with a weird yellow liquid inside. You took a sip and gulped down the liquid as fast as you could. It was disgusting. "Oh my god, what in the bloody hell is that?" you asked, coughing.

He noticed you already adapting to his accent and wording a little. He'd noticed your accent right away, though it was a little different from his. Less thick.

"I don't know, it's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret." Newt said and looked at a boy behind him. "I swear to god, if that was pee I'm gonna decapitate both of you." you stated, your voice still slightly raspy. "Don't worry, darling. I promise it's not pee." Newt laughed.

"Let me introduce you to some people." Newt said and got up.

He walked you around the bonfire and introduced you to various people, such as the med-jacks, Clint and Jeff, the keeper of the runners and slicers, Minho and Winston, and the cook of the glade, Frypan.

"Hey, greenie, wanna see what you're made of?" A guy with weird eyebrows asked you. He had been wrestling with other gladers the entire evening, which is why Newt didn't introduce you to him. He knew Gally was gonna challenge you.

You sighed and cracked your knuckles before stepping forward. The guys cheered and you positioned yourself after Gally explained the rules to you. He lunged at you but you stepped out of the way and put your foot in front of his, making him fall to the ground.

He immediately got up and lunged at you again, this time you punched him in the stomach and after he fell on the floor, you put one of your feet on his back, keeping him down. The gladers cheered and you smiled at them.

You stepped off of Gally and held out your hand for him to take, which he did after hesitating for a second. "Not bad for a greenie. Welcome to the glade." Gally complimented and you smiled.

"You did amazing, love!" Newt said and pulled you into a hug. "Thanks! I didn't know I was capable of doing that." you laughed, which made Newt laugh. "C'mon, I'm gonna take you to your hammock. It's next to mine in case something happens." Newt explained.

He took you to your hammock and, indeed, your hammock was right next to his. You laid down, him doing the same. "Good Night, Newt." you whispered. "Good Night, darling."