19 - valuable

You continued walking the day afterwards. You'd run out of water and still weren't even close to the mountains. It was scorching during the day and freezing during the night.

To survive, you cuddled close to Thomas. You were facing each other, his arms around your waist while his hands were placed on your lower back, under your shirt.

Your hands were placed inside his jacket pockets, your head resting in the crook of his neck. You wanted to be as close to him as possible after what happened with Winston.

You were scared you were gonna loose him to the cranks as well. Suddenly, you were woken up by him. "Newt, Y/N, get up. Come on, let's go. Frypan, Aris. I see something." he said.

You stood up, placing your hand in Thomas' outstretched one to help you up. "Whoa, what is it? What-" Minho started, cutting himself off once he saw lights a few miles away.

"You see that? It's lights." Thomas mumbled. "We made it." Minho whispered, smiling like an idiot. All of a sudden, thunder cracked in the distance.

"Let's go. We gotta go. Come on." Thomas said. You all grabbed your backpacks before running towards the lights, away from the lightning and thunder.

You solely focused on getting there, completing ignoring your surroundings as you ran towards the buildings. It was only when lightning struck down near Minho and Thomas that you snapped out of it.

Thomas stood up on his own, but you needed to carry Minho. Thomas and Newt carried him inside the building before laying him down. You grabbed him by his collar and started shaking him lightly.

"Minho! Come on, Minho!" you pleaded, slapping his cheek with your palm slightly. Suddenly, he groaned, making all of you sigh in relief.

"What happened?"

"I think you got struck by lightning."

"Oh."

After you helped Minho up, you started looking around. The building was dark for the most part, the only light coming from the dirty windows.

"Hey, what's that smell?" Teresa asked, when, suddenly, a crank ran towards her and tried to grab onto her jacket. You pulled her back and away from the creature.

It was chained up by the waist and couldn't reach you. "Behind you!" Teresa screamed towards Thomas, who stepped back from the crank that appeared behind him.

Using your flashlight, you illuminated the room around you. There were a few dozen cranks around you, all chained up. "I see you've met our guard dogs." a voice spoke up.

Turning towards the sound, you saw a figure standing in a doorway. They made their way towards you, easily avoiding the cranks. The figure turned out to be girl around your age, maybe a little older.

"You guys look like shit." she commented before turning back around to walk away. "Come on. Follow me. Unless you wanna stay here with them."

You and Thomas shared a glance before he gestured you to go first.

"Ladies first."

"Shouldn't you be the one to protect your girlfriend?"

"My girlfriend is an independent woman who doesn't need my protection, or anyone else's, for that matter."

"That's the first time you ever said something like that to me."

"It will probably be the last time, too."

You rolled your eyes at him before following the girl, Brenda, pulling him along with you. "Oh, my." Fry commented as you entered a huge room filled with people.

"Come on, keep up. Jorge wants to meet you." Brenda spoke up. Thomas put his arm around your shoulders once he noticed several men staring at you.

"Who's Jorge?" Thomas asked, looking at the girl. "You'll see. No one's come out of the Scorch in a long time. You've just got him curious. And me, too." she explained, looking at Thomas over her shoulder.

"Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this place?" Newt mumbled towards Minho and you as he noticed men surrounding all of you.

"Let's just hear him out. See what he has to say." Thomas suggested. "Jorge, they're here." Brenda spoke towards a man sitting at a desk.

He softly shushed her as he tried to get a signal on his comms. "Quiet." he whispered before angrily shutting the radio off. "Damn it." he turned towards you.

"Do you ever get the feeling the whole world's against you?" he asked, looking at every single one of you. "Oh, no, never had that feeling before." you whispered, sarcastically.

"Three questions. Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?" he asked. You all stayed quiet, looking at each other. "Don't all answer at once."

"We're headed to the mountains. Looking for the Right Arm." Thomas explained, earning a few chuckles. "You're looking for ghosts, you mean." Jorge commented.

"Who were you trying to talk to, then?" you asked, frowning at him. His eyes landed on you before he tore them away, looking at Thomas again.

"Question number two. Where did you come from?" Jorge asked, taking a sip of his drink. "That's our business." Minho spoke up, making Jorge shrug.

Suddenly, men grabbed onto you, others holding the both of them back from helping you. "Hey! Let her go!" they screamed, trying to free themselves.

"Get off of me, man! Get off of me!" you struggled. Brenda stood up and held a device to your neck. "Shut up, you big baby." she spoke, trying to make you stay still.

"What is that?" Thomas asked. The girl looked at the device before turning to Jorge. "You were right." she spoke, making him chuckle. "Right about what? What is she talking about?"

"I'm sorry, hermana. Looks like you're tagged. You came from WCKD. Which means you're very valuable." Jorge said.

Next thing you knew, you were hanging upside down inside the building, your arms outstretched towards the ground. "Good plan, Thomas. Just hear what the man has to say. Really working out for us." Minho spoke, sarcastically.

"Oh, shut up, Minho. Maybe I can reach the rope." Thomas mumbled, yet, he couldn't. "Enjoying the view?" Jorge asked as he entered the room.

"What the hell do you want?" Thomas asked. "If I were you, I wouldn't be so disrespectful towards the bad guy." you suggested towards him. "That's funny coming from you."

"The bad guy? No, no, no, hermana. That is the question. My men want to sell you back to WCKD. Life has taught them to think small. I'm not like that. Something tells me that you're not, either."

"Is the blood rushing to my head or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho asked. "Coming from you, it's probably both." you looked at Minho, seeing him roll his eyes at you.

"Tell me what you know about the Right Arm." Jorge spoke, looking at Thomas. "I thought you said they were ghosts." Newt spoke up from beside you.

"I happen to believe in ghosts. Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves." Jorge answered, looking at your cousin. "Oh, what a plot twist." you mumbled, rolling your eyes.

He put his hand on a lever before pointing his walking stick at you. "You tell me what you know, and maybe we can make a deal." he suggested.

"We don't know much." Thomas said, making Jorge pull the lever for a second. You dropped a few feet downwards. You could feel the sickness arising, you wouldn't be able to contain yourself from throwing up for much longer.

"Okay, okay! Alright! They're hiding in the mountains. And they attacked WCKD. They got out a bunch of kids. That's it. That's all we know." Thomas explained.

Jorge wanted to say something before he was interrupted by one of his men, Barkley. "Yo, Jorge. What's going on?" he asked, looking between the man and you.

"Me and my new friends were just getting acquainted. We're done now." Jorge smirked, his eyes landing on Thomas. "Hey, wait. You're not gonna help us?"

"Don't worry, hermano. We'll get you back to where you belong. Hang tight."