11 - panic

The next morning, Thomas and Minho went into the maze with the device they found inside the griever. Two hours later, loud noises could be heard from inside the maze.

Thomas and Minho came jogging out of the maze, some gladers waiting for them at the entrance. "Now, what the hell is going on out there?" Newt wanted to know.

"What the hell you done now, Thomas?" Gally asked. "We found something, a new passage. We think it could be a way out." Thomas explained.

"Really?" you asked, walking in between Newt and Minho. "It's true. We opened a door, something I'd never seen before. I think it must be where the grievers go during the day." Minho explained.

"Wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait, you're saying you found the grievers' home? And you want us to go in?" Chuck asked, walking in between Minho and Thomas. "Their way in could be our way out, Chuck." Thomas spoke.

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual." Gally spoke up, making Thomas turn around in anger.

"Yeah, well, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done, huh? Aside from hide behind these walls all the time." he said, walking up to Gally.

"Let me tell you something, greenie. You've been here three days, all right? I've been here three years-" the builder spoke before getting interrupted by Thomas.

"Yeah, you've been here three years and you're still here, Gally. So what does this tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently."

That's when Teresa walked up to you and tried getting everyone's attention. "Maybe you should be in charge." Gally argued. Finally, Teresa got their attention.

"Hey! It's Alby. He's awake."

You, Newt, Minho, Thomas, Gally, Fry and Teresa walked into Alby's room, who was sitting on his bed. "Has he said anything?" Minho asked. "No." Teresa said, letting the guys into the room.

"Alby. Alby, you all right?" Newt asked, sitting down next to his friend. The dark skinned boy had tears brimming in his eyes, trying to hold them back.

You knelt down in front of him, placing your hands on his knees to grab his attention. Once he looked into your worried eyes, the tears slowly started falling down his cheeks.

"Hey, Alby. Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze. You hear me? We could be getting out of here." Thomas spoke, kneeling down next to you.

"We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us." Alby whispered, still looking at you. "What are you talking about?" you asked, rubbing his knee with your thumb to reassure him you were there.

"I remember." he spoke, his lip quivering. "What do you remember?" Thomas asked, looking between you and Alby. He could tell the two of you cared for each other deeply, you and Alby were like siblings.

"You. You were always their favorite, Thomas. Always." Alby said, turning to look at said boy. Suddenly, shouts could be heard from outside. "Why did you do this? Why did you come here?"

You ran outside to see what the shouting was about. "Hey, Winston, what's going on?" you asked the slicer who walked by, holding a torch in his hand.

"The doors, they aren't closing."

Running up to the maze doors, the gladers waited to see if the doors would close anyway. Suddenly, the walls started rumbling and birds squawked in the distance, making everyone flinch.

All of a sudden, the doors on every side of the glade opened up. Thomas turned to look at Chuck. "Okay, Chuck, I want you to go to the council hall, okay? Start barricading the doors." he ordered. "Mhm, okay."

"Winston, you go with him." Newt said. The slicer and the slopper jogged away to the council hall. "Get the others. Tell them to go to the forest, go hide. Now." Gally ordered one of the builders.

"Minho, grab every weapon you can find. We'll meet you at the council hall." you said. Minho nodded before running off. "Okay, Teresa, you and I are gonna go get Alby. All right? Come on." Thomas spoke.

Suddenly, some gladers started shouting in the distance.

"Run!"

"Grievers!"

A roar could be heard before two grievers approached from the doors you were standing in front of. "All right, everybody hide!" Thomas shouted.

All of you started running off, trying to find shelter from the grievers. You ran into a corn field, crouching down next to Thomas who placed his arm around your shoulders.

Screams were heard coming from different directions of the glade before a griever grabbed Zart, pulling him away. You tried reaching out to him, but you were too slow.

That's when all of you stood up and started running again, knowing the grievers had found you. "Go, go! Get to the village!" Thomas ordered.

You, Newt and several other gladers ran to get weapons. You grabbed a spear and a machete before running off to find Thomas. Him and some other gladers were attacked by a griever, Thomas standing in front of everyone to protect them if necessary.

You threw your spear into the griever, Minho doing the same. It tumbled back in pain and shrieked. "Over here, let's go!" someone screamed as the remaining group made their way to the council hut.

Once everyone was inside, Thomas locked the door. You stood in the middle of the hut next to Thomas. When the griever jumped onto the roof, you flinched away. Noticing this, Thomas put his arm around your shoulder.

"Stay back, guys." Newt ordered. It got quiet before the griever plunged its tail through the roof, grabbed a beam and tore it away, making some of the roof collapse on a few of the gladers.

Everyone but one boy were able to escape, the boy being taken away by the griever. The griever plunged its tail through the wall Chuck was standing next to and grabbed him.

Thomas was able to grab his hand, trying to pull him back inside. Three other gladers grabbed Chuck and helped Thomas. "Chuck, don't let go!" Thomas told the brunette.

"Yeah, no shit!"

Suddenly, the stinger on the griever's tail activated, about to stab the boy with it, Alby smashed a wooden plank against it. He let out a battle cry before the stinger broke and the griever let go of Chuck.

"Thanks, Alby." Chuck panted. The leader nodded in response. Then, the griever plunged its tail back into the hut, grabbing Alby. You and Thomas were quick to react, grabbing the leader's arms.

Alby looked you in the eyes. "Thomas. Y/N. Go, get them out." he spoke before being pulled away. "No!" both of you screamed, looking at the space Alby was in only a second ago.

You and Thomas simultaneously made your way to the door, several people screaming at you not to do so. When you got out, half the glade was on fire and the grievers were gone.

"Where is everybody? Who's that over there?" someone asked. You turned around to see multiple people walking up to you quickly. One of them was Gally who walked straight up to Thomas.

"Gally." he spoke before the builder punched him right in the face. The guys tried pulling him away from Thomas, who held his jaw in pain.

"This is all you, Thomas! Huh? Look around!" Gally screamed angrily. "Back off, Gally. It's not Thomas' fault." Minho defended the boy.

"You heard what Alby said. He's one of them." Gally continued. "One of who?" you asked, but Gally ignored you in his rant. "He's one of them, and they sent him here to destroy everything, and now he has. Look around, Thomas. Look around. This is your fault."

Thomas looked at the stinger in Chuck's hand, debating whether he should take the risk or not. While the boys continued arguing, you walked over to Thomas.

"Maybe he's right." he mumbled, looking at you before he looked at Teresa. "Thomas?" you asked, shakily. "I need to remember, Y/N." he spoke.

He plunged the stinger into his thigh before collapsing to the ground. "Thomas, no!" you screamed, falling to your knees next to him. The guys ran up to you, kneeling down next to him.

The last thing he could see was the guys' worried faces and your tear stained cheeks before everything went dark around him.