12 - plan

As Thomas awoke, he looked into your e/c eyes. "Hey." you smiled, looking down at him. "Are you okay?" He didn't answer, still too disoriented to realize what was happening.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asked, causing Thomas to sit up and look around him. "Chuck." you scolded, slightly glaring at him for the way he spoke.

"What happened?" Thomas asked, looking between Chuck, Minho, Newt and you. His eyes softened once he spotted your still slightly red eyes.

"Gally's taken control. He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you." Newt explained.

Thomas slightly rolled his eyes at the new piece of information. "And the others agreed to that?" He sat up fully, facing everyone. "Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." Teresa spoke.

"Well, he's been right so far." Thomas admitted, making you frown. "What are you talking about?" you asked, looking at him.

"This place. It's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then, people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork." Thomas explained.

"Sending them up into the maze?" Newt caught on, your eyes widening in realization. "Yeah, but not all of us." Thomas spoke. "What do you mean?" you frowned.

"Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here. I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I was on the other side of it." Thomas explained before looking at Teresa. "And so were you."

"What?" the brunette girl asked, shocked. "Teresa, we did this to them." Thomas whispered. A tear rolled down Teresa's cheek. "No, that can't be true."

"It is. I saw it." Thomas continued, now looking at you. Your eyes softened upon seeing the regret lingering in his eyes. "Why would they send us up here if we were with them?" Teresa asked. "It doesn't matter."

"He's right. It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now. You went into the maze, and you found a way out."

"Yeah, but if I hadn't, maybe Alby would still be alive." Thomas interjected, looking at your cousin. "Maybe. But I know if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing, then that means Alby died for nothing, and I can't have that." Newt argued.

You had heard those kind of speeches from him countless times, but every time you were always amazed by how well he was at being a leader.

"Okay. But we gotta get through Gally first." Thomas spoke, looking between you and Newt. You smirked at him. "Leave the plan up to me."

In front of the maze doors, two huge poles stood high. The remaining gladers were standing around them, looking at Gally. One of the runners grabbed onto Teresa's arms while two others were carrying an "unconscious" Thomas.

They dropped him onto the ground next to Gally's feet. "This is such a waste." the self-proclaimed leader spoke. "Gally." Winston finally had the courage to speak up, making the glader look at him with raised eyebrows. "It doesn't feel right, man." Jeff voiced his opinion as well. "Yeah, what if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home."

"We are home. Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall." Gally spoke, pointing to the maze walls where every glader's name, including yours, was carved into the stone.

"You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything?" Teresa mocked. "No, but this isn't a banishment, it's an offering." the builder answered.

"What? What are you-? Gally, what are you doing?" Teresa asked, confused, as the builder who held her tied her against one of the poles.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he's done? Look around you. Look at our glade." Even though you knew he wasn't talking about you, you still glanced at your surroundings.

"This is the only way. And when the grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was." Gally continued. His logic didn't really make sense to you. The grievers had killed gladers way before Thomas was in the picture, so why would they care about him specifically?

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy." Teresa said, looking at the other gladers. "You shut up." Gally ordered.

"If you stay here, the grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back until you're all dead." the brunette girl continued.

You shared a glance with Minho, Newt and Chuck, the latter waiting a few meters away with bags hanging over his shoulders. "Shut up. Tie him up." Gally ordered the builders who had carried Thomas.

When they didn't move, Gally glared at them. "Do you hear me? I said, tie him up." he ordered again. "He definitely has an issue when it comes to authority." you whispered to Newt, who couldn't help but grin at your remark.

When they grabbed Thomas' arms, he elbowed them in their stomachs. Newt knocked the guy in front of you out while Teresa kicked the boy that had tied her up in his balls.

Minho held a machete to Gally's throat when the builder started to walk towards Teresa. Meanwhile, Fry cut Teresa free and Thomas pointed a spear in Gally's direction.

Chuck came running up to you and handed you a machete. You smiled at the boy before standing next to Thomas, waiting for Minho to join the group.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" Gally asked, shrugging his shoulders. "You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving. Anyone else who wants to come, now's your last chance." Thomas spoke, looking at the gladers.

"Don't listen to him. He's just trying to scare you." Gally claimed. "I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. All right? I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here. We don't belong here. Okay? This place isn't our home. We were out here. Okay? We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that."

After Thomas's speech, half of the remaining gladers walked up to you, some of them apologizing to Gally for not choosing his side. The only ones that remained were the builders.

"Gally, it's over. Just come with us." Thomas tried to convince the blonde. "Good luck against the grievers." is all he said.

This was the first time you had ever seen the maze from inside, and maybe, if you weren't in this situation, you would have been amazed by the thought of those huge structures changing every night.

Thomas was the moral support for everyone, encouraging you to keep running. "Keep it up, guys. We're almost there." he spoke as you ran though section three.

As you got to section seven, Thomas peeked around a corner, only to draw his head back immediately. "Is it a griever?" Chuck asked, still slightly out of breath. "Yeah." Thomas answered. "Shit."

"You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us." Minho said, handing the key to the young boy. "It's okay. Just stick with me." Teresa said, trying to calm him down.

"Once we're through, it'll activate and the door will open. All right, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready?" Thomas asked, looking at everyone.

Before you could run, you turned around and kissed Thomas' cheek, who smiled at you in return. "All right. Let's go!" Thomas screamed, running up to the griever, everyone following him.