Chapter 37

In this moment, it feels like so much is going on when nothing's really happening

People walk by and give us these concerned looks of, what feels like, judgement. It feels like they know about our situation, they've seen us on television and think that this is wrong.

It's wrong for me to be with another woman to them because I'm still married.

However, it shouldn't matter because the connection between us is so strong.

I come from a family that would criticize me if they knew that I wanted to divorce my wife so I've been around couples married for decades and have been fed the fact that divorce is wrong.

Yeah, even though my parents are divorced, they still believe that it's wrong. It runs throughout the entire bloodline.

Just imagine what they'd say if they saw me here, with my ex, and I'm still married to someone else.

Marriage: a legal and sacred union for two people to journey through life together in love and fulfillment.

Oh, somebody's getting fulfilled alright and that somebody isn't being fulfilled by me.

It's like we're all in this love...square? We're all in this tangled ball, wanting out of it but we're stuck due to a few knots we can't untie.

There's no way I feel guilty about this because it feels too good and I wouldn't trade this feeling for anything in this world.

I haven't felt like this since I first married Kyra. She used to be invested until her career took off; same story as high school, except we're grown now.

The peace and serenity I feel, right now, is like no other. I can finally breathe. No cameras, no brights, and no people in our faces.

It's just us and it feels good.

Since nobody else is in the café, we take a quick nap and I wake up first. My eyes fall on a sleeping Journee laying across my lap.

I'm watching as her chest rises and falls, mouth agape, eyes loosely closed, and body relaxed. She slept like this when we shared a hotel together years ago, except she drooled in her sleep. Odd fact but it was still cute.

She's sound asleep and seeing her sleep peacefully makes my heart grow in size. She's absolutely beautiful and I don't want to move.

She's also sleeping hard and I don't want her to stay down here when she's got a bed in her suite. She needs to be comfortable.

I slip from under her, before she rolls over in the booth, and continues to sleep as if this were her bed. The booth is so small that part of her body hangs off the edge. That looks so uncomfortable.

I slide my arms under her body and pick her up while trying to balance. Eventually, this makes her wake up for a quick second and I almost put her down. She may not like me picking her up like that so I wanted to beat her to the punch before she rejected me.

As I lean to put her down, she whispers delicately "Please hold me. Don't let me go."

She could just be saying this because she's tired but I still do as she wishes. The way she whispers her command weakens me and I, immediately, obey. I'm caught in a trance.

She wraps her arms around me as her face presses against my chest, giving her access to my highly beating heart.

Her scent, her soft skin, her everything just keeps me focused on her. I get the privilege of holding her and that excites me in itself.

To get the same energy reciprocated is a blessing. All of my wondering about how she could care less about me fades away.

I'm taking all of this in, holding onto every second of this moment, before we reach her suite. I realize that we're getting closer and I walk slow, keeping her body close to mine. Staying present and alert isn't hard because I don't want to miss anything when it comes to her.

She's not pushing me away like she used to. In fact, she holds me tighter and presses her face into my chest even more.

We get to her suite and I'm heartbroken the moment we get to her door.

Letting her go and putting her down means that she goes back to her husband. This moment ends and she has to face being around Davin, possibly changing her mind about divorcing this guy.

That's the last thing I want for her.

As far as I go, I'm dead set on leaving Kyra. I'm not worried about her because I'm too focused on the woman in my arms right now, currently giving me butterflies: my ex-girlfriend.

She shuffles in my arms, searching for her room key. It takes her a while but she finally finds it and opens her suite.

My insides sink to my feet as she taps my shoulder, signaling for me to put her down.

Putting her down brings me back to reality, remembering that we have to go back to the people we're stuck in a legal union with.

We look into each other's eyes and I'm at a loss for words, confused on what to do but stuck in my stance by those lovely dark brown eyes.

She's pleading for me to stay but I figure that Davin came back from his little entanglement with Kyra. That would be disrespectful on my part.

The suite is silent and Journee makes the first move, placing her fingers on my chest. Tingles swim through my veins and lights a fire inside me. I'm screwed.

All I want to do is kiss her, one good time, before leaving her.

"You're breathing heavily again. It's cute," she notices as she rests her head against my chest once more.

My hands place themselves around her head as if they had a mind of their own. I place a quick kiss on top of her head and hold her tightly.

There's no telling what could happen after I leave so I'm taking this time to reconnect with her.

She could go back to Davin, stay single, or reconsider being with me. My intentions are to get her to do the last thing.

What would that look like though? Hopefully, we could pick up where we left off and actually go through life together. Maybe it could be us, our two children, and possibly another tiny world together. Repairing what was once destroyed and continue our many adventures we had planned.

Together.

I go in for a quick kiss on the lips until I hear a "Journee! What's up, baby? Hey, we gotta talk for a second. Meet me in the bedroom. Oh, thanks for bringing my wife back to me, bro."

Before stepping away from me, she looks back at me and grins a little. Her grin's contagious because it appears on my face.

Game on, player. I'm fighting for what I want now.