Chapter 25

He promised me he wouldn't leave me alone

He promised me he wouldn't leave me alone. He promised me that it'd be just us two for the rest of the trip...

"Beach day for the girls! What a win!" Cass is saying all of this like it's supposed to be a good thing.

It's the third 'girls day' we've had here in Hawaii! How many days have I had alone with my man? This was no couple's trip.

He's supposed to love me. He promised he'd make time for me.

"Smile, J. We're stil going to have fun. You can't let that man take away your fun."

Is she serious?! Cam and Davin might as well be a couple all on their own because he'd rather spend time with his best friend than his own wife! I can have fun with my bestie at any time I choose because she's down for that. What about my man?

People make time for what they want. Someone must not want me anymore and I wish he'd just tell me that by now instead of dragging me through his bullshit.

I sigh as I'm ranting off in my mind and setting up our spot in the sand. We put up the umbrella then set up the beach blanket. Before Cassidy could make herself comfortable, I grab a spot on the blanket and crack open this new romance book about a retired billionaire and waitress.

You know how the rest goes. It's like a sugar daddy romance.

Behind the book, I'm shedding silent tears because I can't even get this kind of romance from my husband. This isn't how my marriage is supposed to be. I know not every marriage is perfect but I'd rather be arguing with my husband every second of the day than barely talk or spend time with him. At least, when we argue, he's finally taking out time for me.

Suddenly, my book leaves my hands and I'm in shock to see Cassidy with it in her hands.

"What the hell, Cass?! I was reading that!" I struggle to get up as she waves the book in my face.

"Come to the water with me, J. Don't make salty water with your eyes. There's an ocean for a reason."

Like that will get me into the water. I don't feel like playing in the ocean today. I'd rather just listen to it while trying to relax with my book in hand. That book was very expensive and need it back.

Instead of getting up, I just lay there and rest my head on the blanket. I have my phone in hand and go through my messages.

Cass texts me every day, got a few conversations from Darian, some from Angie, a couple from the magazine executives, some potential people to interview, and a random spam text telling me to watch my back from a few years ago.

Of course, the last text I received from Davin was from months ago, asking to go on a date. He always calls or shows up. He's not a texter. At the same time, we barely talk anymore.

I'm about to look through my social media messenger but Cass swiftly snatches my phone and runs off.

So, we're going to be childish today and steal people's phones? Cool.

That gets me up on my feet and I dash after my best friend. Since she's lost her mind, I'm gonna show her how much of my mind is gone too.

I'm gaining on her, moving closer and closer until I trip over someone's foot and faceplant into the sand. All I want to do is cry and bury myself into this sand. I've already embarrassed myself enough. This just adds more salt to the wound.

I hear cries for help, a bunch of groaning, gasping, and a 'damn, that's gotta hurt' somewhere. Everyone's about to gather around us and some people try to touch me but I grunt as a sign for no help. I don't want to be touched or saved. I'm good right where I am.

My body's in so much pain, mainly my head.

"Journee please say something if you're conscious." There goes that damn voice again and I'm over it. Yeah, my time in Hawaii is over.

Why does that tone drive me up the wall but still manages to put my heart at ease?

"J, oh my gosh! I am so sorry, girl. I'll never take your stuff again. It's just that...Tripp! What up, friend?!"

My body slowly rolls over but I can't open my eyes for fear of sand getting in them.

"Hey, Cass. Can you pass me that shirt over there? Gonna wipe this-"

"No, no, no, no no. No, no, no. It's fine. This is what I have hands for. I'm good," I say trying to wipe my face with barely any strength. Would be nice if I had some water though.

"Bad idea, Journee. You know, if you-"

"Can you please leave me alone right now?"

Even though most of the sand is gone, I still won't open my eyes. Hopefully, Cass will help me back to our spot in the sand.

"Journee, he's trying to help you. Let him do it."

Or maybe not.

Before I have the chance to say something, the shirt makes contact with my face and I'm caught up in the smell of it. Talk about aromatherapy. That same scent makes my senses tingle and I'm overcome with the musk and wood. It still keeps me in a daze to this day. It takes me back to simpler times.

Once the shirt leaves my face, I'm taken out of my thoughts and I can finally open my eyes. The first thing I see is that 100-watt smile and bright-toothed smile on this glowing 38-year-old light skinned man.

My face immediately falls.

"That's much better. I hope you feel better but make sure you take a shower-"

"I know what to do. I feel fine. Thanks for your help. You can go back and do whatever you were doing." My words ooze with denial and unacceptance because it's easier to feel that way.

I struggle to get up until Tripp holds his hand out for me. I'm looking at that hand and back up to him then slap it away from me. He's helped enough.

I finally get back on my feet and Cass finally helps me back to our spot in the sand. She thanks Tripp before we go back to our blanket and I don't know how to feel about everything that went down.

Here we go, bumping into each other again. When will we be finished bumping into each other like this?

Cass gives me back my phone and my book just so I can crack open the book again. As soon as I get to the part where they meet, I'm interrupted by a "That's it, Journee. We've got to talk."

"