Chapter 29 Twelve Hours

"Why the hell would you do something like that?!"

Y/N sits on an infirmary bed, listening to Kevin's ranting as Madam Pomfrey tends to the laceration

Y/N sits on an infirmary bed, listening to Kevin's ranting as Madam Pomfrey tends to the laceration. "Everyone was angry, Sparks! Everyone! They all despise her and you were right to say something, but using the Severing Charm on yourself for the sake of making a point?! You can't do that! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!"

She looks up to Entwhistle, solemnly. "I'm sorry.."

He sighs. "Why?"

"I don't know, but I'm okay. I'm okay, Kevin."

"I don't know doesn't cut it, Sparks."

There's a pause. "But that's the truth, Kevin. I don't know why I did that, but I don't regret it. I would do it again."

The boy shakes his head. "You will never do that again."

Y/N nods her head. "Of course not. What I'm saying is that if I were to go through it again, I would likely do the same thing."

"Just," He begins. "tell me, how're you feeling? Are you going to disappear for a few days?"

"No.." She responds. "I don't feel dark or empty or like I can't do anything, quite the opposite.."

"What do you mean?"

She thinks about it for a moment. "I feel, free. Like I finally took away her power. Even if I didn't do so truly, I feel like she can't hurt me."

Entwhistle looks to the ceiling. "How can someone so amazing be so fucking reckless."

"Language."

"My apologies, Madam Pomfrey. But um, I need to go grab my bag from the courtyard. Will you be alright."

Y/N gives him a half smile. "Yeah."

He walks out of the infirmary, hesitant to leave her there. But she's fine. Oddly enough, Sparks really does not feel gloomy or apathetic at all. For the first time in ages, she doesn't feel afraid or warry of her surroundings. There was something about standing there and confronting Umbridge that made her feel stronger. As she thinks about it more, her final act was dangerous and idiotic, but in the moment, it seemed right. Like a way of telling the Inquisitor that she has no power anymore. A way to get out of being harmed through taking control.

"He has a right to be upset with you, Miss Sparks. What you did out there truly was reckless and unhinged."

She looks to the woman. "I know. What would you have done?"

Pomfrey motions her wand to seal the wound. "Well, I didn't fight back like you did, so I think you know. And while I applaud your sense of action, I don't applaud your execution."

"Neither do I."

"I must be honest with you dear, your actions will have consequences. And I'm not referring to the scar that's coming. It is mine and Headmaster Dumbledore's duty to report this incident to your parents."