Chapter 45

My face is flaming as I hand Mary my book returns. She saw them when she checked me out the other day, but I can't help but feel a little awkward having her see my books.

I've been getting a bit more daring with my reads, and some of these are pretty naughty.

"Does Caleb have access to my library card?" I ask. "Like, can he see what books I check out?"

Mary sucks her cheeks into her mouth to hide her smile, and I shift my weight from foot to foot as she drops her head to her chest and snickers. It's not that funny.

"No, Ev, he can't see the books you're reading," she answers.

She continues to laugh, and I huff as she scans the last of my books and sets them in her return cart.

"We got a new shipment of books in last week, and I think you might like a few of them." She lifts a hand and points toward the small table across from the reception desk.

It's where she puts all the new releases, and I clutch my library card to my chest as I meander my way over there. I can tell by the covers that a few will be right up my alley, and I don't hesitate to flip them over and read the descriptions.

I end up picking three, and I make my way to Mary to check them out.

I know I'm allowed to check out more than this, but I try to limit myself so I don't go overboard. I'd hate to forget about a book and get charged a late fee. Money is scarce enough as it is, and I don't need to waste any on silly mistakes.

"Are you going to Caleb's birthday party?" I ask, handing over my books.

Mary looks shocked by my question, and I regret asking it almost immediately. I wish Adam would've never told me about the damn party. Ignorance is bliss, and now that I know about it, it's all I can think of.

"Probably," she says. "Just about everybody does. Are you going?"

I shrug, still undecided. Adam seems pretty intent on bringing me, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

"You should," Mary urges.

She scans my card before checking out my books and slipping a piece of paper with the due date between the front pages. I clear my throat, struggling to think of a response.

Does she actually think I should go? I don't want to go somewhere where I'm not wanted and make a fool of myself.

"Do you know what you're going to wear?" Mary continues. "Everybody dresses up."

Frowning, I glance down at myself. I don't own anything nice. Caleb purchased me a full wardrobe when I first moved in with him, but I don't own anything fancier than a sundress. He tried to pick a few nicer items, but I wasn't interested.

I felt guilty about how much money he was spending, and the dresses he was looking at were expensive.

Shit.

I should have let him buy me one or two.

My bank account is already laughably low right now, and after buying Caleb a birthday present, I'm not going to have anything left over.

"I have a few sundresses to choose from," I say.

Mary scoffs, and I self-consciously cross my arms over my chest. I could do without the judgment.

"You can not show up to that party in a sundress." Mary pushes back her chair and stands with a huff, and she looks me over before grabbing her purse from under her desk and waving for me to follow. "Come on."

I jolt and mindlessly jog after her. She rounds the reception desk and heads toward the library's front doors, her pace fast and full of purpose.

"Where are we going?" I ask.