Chapter 26

Caleb is avoiding me.

He leaves in the morning while I'm still sleeping, and he returns only hours after the sun has gone down and he can use the excuse of needing to go to bed to get out of conversation. It's just as infuriating as it is heartbreaking, and I do my best not to scream when I step into the kitchen and realize today is the same.

I avoid looking outside at the wolf I know is lying in the snow, the animal watching me through the back window as I walk through the kitchen and open the fridge. It looks like Caleb ate the meal I left here for him, and I smile as I peer into the sink and see the dirty plate.

I know my actions are a little odd, but I can't stop myself from opening the trash lid to see if he threw anything away.

It's empty, not a speck of last night's dinner to be found. That means he ate it all.

Good.

The kitchen is pretty clean, and I busy myself with the few dishes left from last night before making breakfast. Caleb and I used to eat together most mornings, and the quiet of the house feels wrong as I sit at the dining table by myself.

I still don't have a phone or computer, and I stare at the wall opposite me as I mindlessly eat my bagel. What's Caleb's plan for me?

He can't hold me prisoner in his home forever. Eventually, I'm going to need something to do. The wolves outside don't talk to me, and I'm growing antsy with boredom. I've been watching TV to pass the time, but I don't particularly enjoy it.

I didn't have a normal childhood, and it's hard to relate to the characters on the screen. Their experiences are too different from mine.

I'm just putting my plate in the sink when I hear the front door open, and I jolt a bit in surprise before spinning to see who it is.

"Caleb!" I blurt out as I round the corner of the kitchen.

He dips his chin in my direction before gesturing toward the two men who enter behind him. One of them is Cole, but I don't recognize the other. He's young and slim, maybe in his late teens, but he looks like a carbon copy of Cole.

Someone mentioned once that he had a younger brother. This must be him.

Neither looks in my direction as they take off up the stairs.

"They're helping you move. I found you an apartment near the center of town. It's nice, and we've already furnished it for you," Caleb explains.

What?

He mentioned wanting me to move out before, but I thought there'd be more discussion before it actually happened. Caleb looks uncomfortable, his posture awkward and tense. He usually wears suits to work, but today he's dressed in blue slacks and a tucked-in button-up shirt.

His fingers twitch, drawing my attention, and I can't help but let out an audible gasp as my eyes land on his hand.

His marking has darkened. What was once a white scar is now a light pink, the change subtle but most definitely there. My legs carry me forward, and I grab his hand without thinking to get a better look.

Caleb lets me, but he pulls away when I move to touch the mark.

It's changing so quickly. Mine took years to darken, and I foolishly hoped his would take months, if not years, as well.

"I want to stay here," I say.

Caleb's chest expands as he sucks in a deep breath, and he steps back to put some space between us before shaking his head. He cups my cheeks, his thumbs brushing against my temples, before he ducks and brings his lips to mine.