Chapter 6

"Oh, stop looking at me like that," Caleb huffs, peering into the bedroom.

I blink, continuing my blank stare. It's been exactly five days he's had me locked up in this room, refusing to let me step foot out of bed unless it's to go to the bathroom. At first I thought his concern was cute, but now I'm going stir-crazy and it's anything but.

Caleb steps inside the room a second later, his lack of shirt immediately capturing my attention. He wears only a pair of tight underwear, probably on purpose, and I stare with an open jaw as he walks around the bed toward his closet.

He's got a body human men would kill for, the Alpha all long limbs and thick muscle.

It's enticing, and the part of me I work hard to keep hidden enjoys that I'm the only female who gets to see it. She's possessive, even if this man isn't one I have any right to claim. I'm here to gather information and destroy everything he's worked for, and I need to keep that mission in mind.

Caleb grins as I eye him, confident as ever as he pulls open his closet door.

I was under the impression he was going to sleep in here with me, and he did try, but after rolling over and accidentally throwing his arm over my rib the first hour he laid down with me, he was banishing himself to the guest bedroom.

I hate it as much as I love it.

The space is good, giving me time to think, but that's serving to be useless when all I can think about is him.

I need a distraction, something to get my mind back on my mission.

"I'd like to go outside," I say.

Caleb ignores my request as he's done the past hundred times I've voiced it.

"Not until you're healed," he mumbles, disappearing into his closet only to come out a minute later, fully dressed.

He seems so human sometimes, especially when he gets all dressed up for work. He wears a full suit each day, the tailored clothing doing nothing to help curb my attraction to him. What is it about well-dressed men that has me so fucking desperate?

"Are you going to work?" I pry, already knowing the answer.

Caleb frowns, looking genuinely apologetic as he nods. He spent the first two days by my side, sitting on the edge of the bed asking me at least three thousand questions about myself. I wasn't able to get any in, and they were a complete bust in terms of getting information for HPAW.

On the third day, though, he had to leave, complaining that the wolves can't seem to function without him. I still can't tell if that was a joke or not, and am undecided if that's information I'll share with HPAW. I don't want to tell them something that's not true.

"Don't you have somebody else that can cover for you?" I ask.

Caleb turns and climbs on the bed, continuing until he's hovering over me. My pulse races in response, and I try my best to ignore it as he ducks and presses his lips to mine.

Fuck.

His kiss is soft, and despite my better instincts, I shut my eyes and lean into it. He hasn't made any moves to touch me again after the bathroom incident, actively avoiding anything that could be taken in a sexual way.

He even wore gloves the last time he helped me bathe, the infuriating man refusing to take them off even after I laughed and told him they weren't necessary. It was the best orgasm I've ever had, and considering I have to kill him when I get all the information I need, I've decided to try and get as many as I can in the short period of time they're available.