Chapter 50

Sash pulls Caleb into a tight hug, her head buried into his chest as he wraps his arms around her.

"I was starting to think you weren't coming!" she pouts.

Caleb laughs.

"To my own birthday party?"

I scratch the side of my neck, fully aware I'm the reason we're arriving so late. It took me longer to get ready than I thought, and I pushed us behind schedule. Caleb said nobody would notice, but I should've known better than to believe him.

He just didn't want to rush me.

Sash gives Caleb another tight squeeze. I'm glad to see there's no bad blood between them, and I awkwardly stand next to the pair as she whispers something I can't quite make out into the fabric of his shirt.

His muscles stiffen before he pulls away, and he wraps his arm around my waist before changing course and looping it through my arm instead. He's picked up on my desire for space, and I'm glad he's not making a big deal out of it.

Cole approaches out of the corner of my eye. I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks, the man laying low after Sash was banished and the threat of me being killed by the wolves diminished.

"Cole," Caleb greets him.

They give one another a quick hug, and I clasp my hands behind my back as Sash's intense stare digs into me. I'm scared she'll explode if I try and say something to her, but I'm also afraid she will if I don't.

Caleb smoothly pulls away from Cole and places his body between Sash and me.

"You look nice, Evelyn," Cole compliments, breaking the awkward silence.

I jolt, surprised he's speaking to me.

"Thank you," I rush to say. "So do you."

He steps behind Sash and wraps his arms around her waist. She visibly relaxes as she leans against him, and I spot her chest expand as she sucks in a deep breath and places her hands over his.

She's wearing a floor-length black dress. It flares at the waist and moves with her, and I have to admit she looks amazing.

"I love your dress," I say.

My voice comes out strong despite my nerves, and I hold Sash's gaze as she raises a brow and tightens her grip on Cole's wrist.

"Thank you." She sounds strained. "Yours is nice, too."

This is painful.

Caleb clears his throat and gestures to the bar.

"We were just about to get our drinks. Do either of you want anything?" he offers.

Cole shakes his head. "We're fine, thank you."

He leads Sash away, and I let out a sigh of relief the moment they're gone. Caleb chuckles at my visible relaxation and places a hand on the small of my back. I have half a mind to step out of his hold, still unsure how I feel about him showing intimacy in public, but I don't do anything to stop it.

It's comforting, and I desperately need that right now.

Caleb gently nudges me toward the bar, and we make our way to the back of the line. The wolves surrounding us step aside and gesture for him to go right up to the bartender, but Caleb remains put.

"I'm okay waiting," he laughs.

"It's your birthday!" a woman near the front says. "Come on."

She grabs her mate's arm and pulls him aside, and the man accidentally bumps into her rounded stomach as he hurries out of Caleb's way. She protectively places a hand over her belly and shifts so it's out of harm's way, and I can't help but stare.