Chapter 91

Caleb's lying in bed on his computer when I wake up, the screen dimmed so it doesn't wake me as he scrolls through countless emails. There's an alarming amount, but I'm coming to learn that's nothing new.

I wonder how long he's been up, but I fear the answer.

"Go back to sleep," I mumble, hooking my leg around his waist. "You need to rest."

Instead of answering me, Caleb reaches around his computer and squeezes my thigh over the comforter. I know he's been stressed, and he's been working more than I've ever seen him do so before, but he can't keep up like this.

He can't spend every waking minute of his day working, even if he wants to. It's unhealthy, and I'm not the only one who's been telling him so.

Just yesterday, I overheard Cole telling him he looks like shit and needs to take a break, and even Adam has been sending him concerned glances. If Adam's feeling bad for you, you know it's serious.

"The wolves intercepted a truck of explosives heading toward my pack last night," Caleb says. "It's the third one this month, and we're only ten days in."

I sigh, wiggling closer.

"But none have gotten through," I point out. "The furthest HPAW's gotten is a few miles past the border. Your warriors are capable, Caleb, and they'll manage for a few hours while you sleep. I'm sure they find you more useful when you're rested, anyway."

Caleb shoots me a playful glare.

Ignoring it, I slip my hand out of the blankets and reach for his laptop. I move slowly, giving him ample time to stop me, before shutting the lid. Caleb wordlessly turns and sets the device on his bedside table, and I practically latch onto him when he finally lays back in bed.

"How are things going with the humans?" Caleb asks, pulling me into his arms.

My body breaks out in tingles as we touch, and I take a selfish moment to enjoy it before answering.

"Better than expected," I say. "No human news organization is willing to speak to them, not after Jack's interview, and they're pissed."

They've been quite vocal about it, too. I try not to bother them too much at the apartments, wanting them to have their space, but in the few times I've gone back to visit since last week's interview, they've been full of angry complaints about HPAW.

At first, they thought we somehow blocked the connection, but the blonde human's warrior convinced them we weren't. I'm not sure what magic he's performing over there, but the humans have genuinely taken a liking to him.

I think it's because they enjoy seeing him doting on his mate. To them, it's comedic to watch a wolf bend over backward for a human, especially after all the nasty lies they've heard over the years.

"Three of the humans have even agreed to meetings with their mate," I continue.

There was silence for two long days after I handed out all the personalized files, but slowly, the humans have been coming forward with requests for a meeting. One of them was Jack, which I'm pleasantly surprised about.

Caleb hums and runs his hand down the back of my head, playing with my hair. He's careful not to accidentally pull any strands as he sifts his fingers through them and slowly untangles any of my knots.

I always have a few when I wake up in the morning.

"We've identified an HPAW training facility a few miles outside of our border, and I'm sending a unit of wolves there tomorrow to dismantle it," Caleb says.

I've heard about that. Caleb already dismantled one training facility, a small one just beyond the border. We've gotten intel that HPAW doesn't actually train their soldiers there, but instead, it's a front for their armory.