Chapter 54

Jay unclips my hospital gown at the shoulders, and I tug the fabric to my waist before lifting my arms and letting him slip a loose cotton bra over my shoulders. The movement fucking hurts, my shoulder and chest screaming, but I don't care.

I was taken off my pain medication early this morning, and I'm sure as fuck feeling it.

Jay is gentle as he pulls my bra over my chest wound, his eyes narrowing as he ensures the band isn't cutting into my bandage. It won't kill me if it is, and I brush away his concern as I reach for my shirt.

It's a scratchy, black HPAW uniform shirt, and I feel an uncomfortable familiarity with it as Jay helps me get it on. I wore this top daily for years, and I'd begun to believe I'd never be made to wear one again.

That was wishful thinking.

Once the top half of my body is covered, I slide my legs over the edge of the bed and plant my feet on the cool, cement floor. My toes curl, and I can't hide a grimace as I grab onto the arm of the bed and force myself into a standing position.

My knees shake, threatening to give out at a moment's notice. The sudden movement also makes me dizzy, but it fades after a few seconds.

Jay stands on guard, prepared to catch me at the first sign of trouble.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asks.

I wince before dipping my chin in a jerky nod.

I'm torn. I think showing up in a hospital gown with my ass sticking out would do an excellent job of earning me some pity points, but it's not what the old Evelyn would have done. She'd have wanted to look strong and in charge when she met with leadership.

The elusive Jonathan, Benjamin, and Theodore.

They're the ones in charge, the three heading up the entire HPAW organization, and my pulse races as I realize the severity of what's about to happen. They're very likely going to be the ones to decide whether or not I'm kept alive, and they're not easy men to please.

I've only had two formal meetings with them, the first when HPAW brought me in when I was seven, and the second the week before I left on my mission.

Jonathan is the youngest of the three, but he'll be the hardest to convince. His dark blonde hair, wide smile, and boyish look give the impression that he's the friendliest, but behind that kind exterior is an intelligent, sharp man.

Benjamin should be easier to convince. He's just as sharp as Jonathan, but he's always been big on looking at a problem from all angles. While Jonathan will take the approach of guilty until proven innocent, I hope Benjamin will wait until he hears what I have to say before making a decision.

Theodore is a wild card. While I've seen the other two around the facility over the years and overheard all the rumors and speculation that circulated about them, Theodore is a closed door.

He typically works out of a facility down south, and we never cross paths.

I assume the room I'm taken to will also contain several board members, Dan included. I'm not eager to hear what he says about me, especially after yesterday's ominous warning.

My hands shake as I reach for my hospital gown, the cheap fabric still bunched at my waist, and I push at it until it falls to my feet.

I need a break, and I sit on the edge of the bed as Jay grabs my underwear off the side table and crouches. Jay lifts my feet and slides my underwear up my legs, and once we're at my thighs, I force myself back into a standing position so we can get them up my hips.

It's embarrassing needed to be dressed like this, but I don't have the strength to do it myself.

If it weren't for leadership pushing to speak with me as soon as possible, I'd probably be spending the day resting.