Chapter 57

I sag in relief when the guard hits the button for the second underground floor. There are only two things on that level, the unique gym Dan and I used to train in, and medical. Given my current injuries, I highly doubt I'm expected to partake in any form of exercise.

The guard guides me forward once the elevator doors open, confirming my assumption as he turns to the left toward the medical wing.

I suppose I should be glad HPAW is taking enough interest in my well-being to ensure the doctors see me. It means, at least to some extent, they want to keep me alive.

The wheels of my chair squeak, and I focus on the annoying noise as I'm led into a hospital waiting room. Dan is waiting inside, and he dips his chin in greeting before turning to the guard.

"I can take it from here," he says.

He doesn't bother waiting for a response before he rounds me and takes my chair handles from the guard. Why's he here? I assumed Dan would try and distance himself from me, and joining me on my visits to the hospital isn't exactly a good look for him.

If HPAW decides I'm loyal to the wolves, Dan's proximity to me will turn their eyes on him, as well. Despite how well they know him and how long he's chosen to work for HPAW, they'll wonder if I was able to sway his opinion toward the wolves.

They know we're close, and his insistence on overseeing my checkups only draws more attention.

Dan pushes me down the hallway and into a private medical room. It's bare, and I let my eyes travel over the white walls and clean, sterile furniture before peering over my shoulder at Dan. I'd pay good money to know what he's thinking.

"How are you feeling?" he asks, meeting my gaze.

I shrug. "I've been better," I admit.

He chuckles, a low, quiet sound, before guiding me toward the hospital bed in the center of the room.

He helps me out of my chair and onto the bed, and I'm happy to note my knees no longer shake when I stand. My legs still feel impossibly weak, but I'm regaining some of my strength. I don't think I injured my legs at all, but my body as a whole has been struggling.

I'm willing to bet it's a side effect of my head wound.

A tray of breakfast food sits on the small table at the end of my bed, and Dan smoothly hands it over once I get adjusted. My mouth is already watering, and I'm sure I'm a sight to see as I grab a fork and begin shoveling the eggs down my throat.

My last meal was before I was brought up to meet with leadership, and I'm starving.

When was the last time Adam was fed? He must be hungry, too, but asking to bring back food for him is too risky. I shouldn't care about his well-being, and it would be a dead giveaway that our relationship is more than I'm pretending it is.

"How's your hand?" Dan asks.

I slow my chewing, immediately on edge.

"It's healing as expected," I say. "I tore up the skin pretty bad, but all my fingers work."

Dan nods and sits in the chair next to my bed. His stare is intense, and I do my best to pretend I'm not affected by it.

"What're the odds I get moved back into a real room?" I ask. "I don't exactly enjoy sharing a bed with a wolf."

I need to get out of the cell. I'm not sure how I intend to get Adam and me out of here, but I know I need to be out of that room if I'm going to do it. It's too guarded, and breaking in to get Adam out will be easier than both of us trying to escape from within.