Chapter 30

People pointedly avoid looking in my direction as I walk through the hospital entrance with Caleb. I suppose it's better than the glares, but it's awkward nonetheless.

I pretend I don't notice it, but I'm sure it's obvious I do by the way my steps lose their rhythm and my walking grows stiff. The only person looking at me is a young girl, but her eyes are more on Caleb than me.

He seems to notice, too, if his wide grin is anything to go by. He lifts his arm not currently wrapped around my waist and gives her a slight wave. She goes red as a tomato before she squeals and turns to shove her face into her dad's knees.

Caleb's so good with children, and a deep rooted pain settles inside me as I watch him interact with the girl. I should've never asked him to cum in me. He's never hidden his desire to have a large family, and I took full advantage of it.

It was selfish.

"We're almost there," Caleb breathes, patting my hip.

He's been fretting over me like a mother sending her youngest child off to college the entire way to the hospital, but I can't lie and say I don't love the attention. He still cares for me, and his actions fill me with the hope that he will again.

"She fell and has a concussion," Caleb says, skipping all pleasantries as we approach the reception desk.

The man behind the counter glances between Caleb and me, his lips pursed before he clears his throat and dips his chin. He's not happy, but I can tell he's trying not to be too outwardly aggressive toward me.

I'm sure I'd receive a much different reaction if I came here alone.

"I see. Head on down into room 106. I'll let a doctor know you're waiting," he says, gesturing down the hallway to his right.

Well, that was easy.

Caleb walks so closely behind me that I can practically feel his breath on the back of my head. He's probably waiting for me to collapse, and I force myself to keep my walking steady and strong as I find the room and step inside.

Only once Caleb and I are alone do I let my shoulders roll forward and my head drop.

I sit on the hospital bed and wince as the cheap plastic crinkles underneath me. I feel less than ideal, and I press my hands over my eyes to block out the bright fluorescent lighting.

Caleb flips the light switch when he notices, plunging us into darkness.

"I didn't realize I'd need to supply you with a helmet." He breaks the silence. "I'll make sure to buy you one immediately."

I remove my hands from my eyes and shoot him the angriest glare I can muster. That's not funny. Caleb's shoulders shake as he holds back laughter, and I hate that I'm in too much pain to enjoy it. I want to, but the pressure in my skull and my increasing nausea doesn't leave much room for positive feelings.

The door is pushed open, and I turn to watch the doctor enter. It's the same one I met when I was having my issue with my ribs, and he shoots me a friendly smile before stepping inside. It's the first time in days I haven't been glared at in contempt, and it feels good.

The doctor glances at the light switch before grimacing and turning toward Caleb.

"I need to turn on the light to look at her head. I can smell blood," he says.

I place my hands back over my eyes and tilt my head down as he flicks it on and approaches. Fingertips touch the back of my head before moving my hair to the side, and I resist the urge to flinch as the action makes the injury sting.