Chapter 99

Jack, nor his mate, are anywhere to be seen as I step into the apartment building common room.

In fact, the entire place is suspiciously empty. I press my lips together and shut the door behind me, an intense mixture of suspicion and curiosity coursing through me. Where is everybody?

They're always hanging out in here.

Bells lounges on the couch in the corner of the room, her blue hair a dead giveaway. Her roots have been touched up, the dark blonde transformed into a vibrant aqua color. I included a gift certificate to the hair salon down the street in her Easter basket, and I feel satisfied to see that she used it.

Adam technically had the idea and paid for it, but he didn't think she would accept anything from him.

It sounds like she's still avoiding him, and I can't lie and say I'm not growing frustrated. I understand this has been a big change for her, but I don't think she needs to be so rude to Adam. He's trying his best.

I also know my view is incredibly biased, though.

I don't blame any of the other marked humans who have chosen to keep space from their mates.

"Where is everybody?" I ask, stepping closer to Bells.

She jolts, clearly not having realized I was here, before spinning around to face me. Her throat bobs as she gulps, and her eyes dart around the room before settling on me. I usually go out of my way to avoid her, but she's the only person here, so it's not like I've got any other options.

"Everybody was celebrating last night, and now they're hungover," she says. "I've seen a few people here and there today, but most are hugging their toilets."

Celebrating? The only thing I can think of that would be worth celebrating last night was the official shutting down of HPAW, but I don't want to get my hopes up and assume that's caused any excitement for the humans.

Their view of HPAW isn't the best right now, but I imagine their loyalties toward the organization remain. It took forever for me to see HPAW for what it truly is, and I assume it's the same for the marked humans.

Even after living with the wolves for several months and experiencing every bit of kindness they threw my way, I still doubted.

It took so much for me to finally understand and accept that HPAW were the bad guys here.

"What were they celebrating?" I ask.

Bells raises a brow. "HPAW being shut down, I imagine. I didn't join them."

I do a poor job of containing my shock. They're truly excited about HPAW being shut down? I didn't see that coming.

Awkward silence stretches between Bells and me, and I clear my throat before glancing around the room again. The humans don't like me, that's not much of a secret, but talking with Bells is painful. I absentmindedly rub the scarred skin on the back of my hand before turning back to Bells, but I'm quick to release it when I notice she's looking.

I wrap my arms around my back, hiding my mark from her prying eyes. I don't like people looking at it, not even Caleb.

"Do you know what Jack wanted to talk to Caleb about?" I ask.

At this, Bells fully rolls her eyes. My anger spikes before I realize she's not directing it toward me.

"Yeah, he and some other humans have decided they want jobs," she explains. "I don't really know. They thought Caleb could help."

They want jobs? That's an easy enough fix, and Caleb will be relieved to hear it wasn't for anything relating to his current conversations with the human government.