Ch13: Banter

Arc 1: The Long Winter

Ch13: Banter

Both Katerina and Ashray were looking sympathetically at the end of Arktis' story.

"For you to endure that much... "

Ashray muttered, his face gloomy as he glanced at Arktis. Katerina has a few tears in her eyes and is attempting to wipe them away.

"After you completed your duty of sealing the mirror, your aunt betrayed you by sealing you with the mirror herself; how can she be so heartless?"

Arktis replied with a sorrowful look on his face.

"I've been corrupted by phantoms, so she has no choice but to seal me with the mirror; she and the others couldn't defeat me and make me overcome the corruption, so sealing me with the mirror was the right choice."

Ashray mumbled as he peered at the creature encased in ice, his hand clenched.

"And now you want us to seal you as well... You've been living in isolation for a long time; is there no other option?"

Arktis responded by shaking his head.

"My body being sealed for eternity with the mirror of evil is best for the twisted wonderland; even if we manage to seal the mirror and defeat my corrupted body, I don't think my body would last long after defeating it."

"No way... It's so unfair."

Katerina exclaimed. Her face was flushed with annoyance. She regains control of her emotions after a little moment. She takes a breath and looks at Arktis with a determined look on her face and a fire in her eyes.

" Don't worry, we promise to find and return the artifact for you in Ledusberg town."

Ashray then proposed

"After the artifact is returned to you, maybe you can stay with us in the meantime at our home, and we will find a way to cure you of that corruption."

Andersen scoffed as Katerina and Ashray presented their views and Arktis listened to them. Of course, his reaction was seen, but Katerina and Ashray chose to disregard it. Mister Hans's side comments and reactions to anything they say or do are already second nature to him.

Mr. Hans was the type of person who couldn't keep his mouth shut. It was as if talking and belittling everyone was breathing for him. If he didn't insult or criticize someone, it may as well be like a death to him.

They departed the castle ruins after putting their thoughts into reality. Arktis called a horse pulling an ice carriage outside the castle. Ashray couldn't help but compare them to the one called by Mister Hans while they were here.

"These are my familiars, Flocke, Glas, and Scherbe; they can fly and are very fast."

"I know, they're the ones you rode when you took me from the icy forest, right?"

When he heard Katerina's reckless words, Arktis cringed. As though she wasn't bothered by what had transpired.

"I sincerely apologize for taking you against your will."

"Don't worry about it."

Katerina responded. She inquired, her gaze drawn to Ashray.

"How is Bae doing? I, missing must be an ordeal for her."

" She returned to town and was currently spending her time in the shed; she has no injuries, but she is suffering from stress as a result of you being taken away and missing."

" I see. "

After introducing his familiars' identities to Ashray and Katerina and the two discussing Bae, both of them entered the carriage. Katerina assured Arktis before closing the carriage door.

"Don't worry, we'd talk to Miss Lily and have her assist us in finding the artifact, and you and Mr. Hans could stay here until we returned."

"Thank you. Before you leave, I haven't told you what the artifact is. I will tell you now. The artifact is the symbol of the Permafrost Kingdom's rulers. The Crown of Permafrost The symbol of royal heritage and duty for the Permafrost family The crown was embedded with the magic stone of the Ice Queen herself. For the Permafrost Kingdom, it was a priceless relic."

Arktis gave a small smile. Katerina and Ashray exchanged smiles before Katerina shut the carriage doors.

Arktis gave the order while looking at his familiars.

"Arrive in Ledusberg quietly, and wait for Katerina and Ashray to find the artifact and enter the carriage before you three can return here. Make sure to make their ride comfortable. "

The horse familiars began trotting and lifted into the air. They began loping after trotting. Arktis and Andersen stood there watching the horses fly away until their shadow was all that remained. After the horses vanished, Andersen stated

"In your state of corruption, you mentioned to them that you had fulfilled your duty of protecting the twisted wonderland from the mirror of evil, but are you as noble and selfless as you have told them, Ice Prince?"

The warm grin on Prince Arktis' face had vanished, replaced by one of coldness and calm. Returning his gaze to Andersen.

"You're not human or whatever they thought you were; at first, I thought you were a spirit or a fae. What are you, Mister Hans?"

"Something that is not from this world."

Arktis was taken aback when Andersen responded to him. He anticipated Andersen to ignore his inquiry. Thought, he wonder if he should believe what Andersen said. Entertaining Andersen, he asked

"Then what kind of world would it be?"

"Something far beyond and in which you should not show any interest."

" I see. "

Andersen saw that the Prince doesn't believe him. A trace of irritation rose on him. This is a world where magic is known, this Ice Prince should be open-minded. But what he except of an ignorant prince who has been living for more than a hundred years of seclusion?

"Listen, Ice Prince, unlike those two naive idiots, I am not easily deceived; you can set aside your phony emotions and amateur acting; nothing escapes my observation."

"Well, I don't have any bad intentions in putting my act in order. By winning their sympathies, I simply hope to urge them to look for my relic. Mentioning to them that the Permafrost Kingdom ceased to exist due to my corrupted form would not win me their sympathy, would it? "

"Who knows, maybe you could claim you're not in control and make a save while they're still impressed with you."

"You're very harsh, Mister Hans. Do you dismiss their intelligence?"

"I have no doubts about their intelligence, but they are far too naive and gullible. Someone who was far too easy to exploit. "

"Oh, like how you're currently freeloading in their house?"

"Didn't Ashray mention that he would also like to invite you to his house?"

"Yes, it would be rude to deny him, isn't it? I don't want to be so rude, unlike a certain someone."

Arktis and Andersen passed the time waiting for Katerina and Ashray by exchanging insults and joking. The latter eventually returned, bringing the Permafrost Kingdom crown with them.