Ch39: Lonely Child

Arc 3: The start of the troublesome year

Ch9: Lonely Child

With a few exceptions, everyone retired to bed after the first year's welcoming party in the Diasomnia dorm.

Lilia Vanrouge, a former war general of the Briar Valley, glances outside the window and at the full moon. His brow was wrinkled at the moment. Malleus was presently reclining on one of the Diasomnia Dormitories lounge sofas, away from him.

"It occurred once again."

Malleus whispered. He then picked up the cup of tea on the table, put it to his lips, and started sipping.

"The expectations are essentially nothing at all, Lilia. It was futile... Should I have expected anything from those people?"

Lilia stated while still glancing out the window.

"It was never your mistake but theirs for neglecting to invite you once again."

Lilia, like Malleus, was not pleased with the actions and conduct of the other housewardens. Why did they disregard inviting Malleus once more after some of them indicated they would make sure to invite or inform Malleus when an important occasion or event arose?

Malleus remarked with a smile.

"I admit that being disregarded yet again by them is distressing. What bothered me this evening was the situation during the welcome party. Aside from Sebek, the other 1st years of our dorm are afraid of my presence."

Lilia lamented once more as he heard Malleus's disappointment. An ache shot through his chest.

This year, ten students are sorted into their dormitory, Diasomnia. It was something that was to be expected considering the history of the dorm at Night Raven College.

Diasomnia will always be the dorm that always has the fewest students. The dormitory with the most students to be sorted was always between the Heartslabyul, Savanaclaw, and Pomefiore. This year's Diasomnia first year had fewer students than the year preceding it, of which had a total of 13 students.

Malleus has put a lot of effort into preparing for this year's welcome celebration, along with his previous year as the Diasomnia's house warden.

It was apparent that fewer students qualified for Diasomnia than the previous school year which was a disappointment. Regrettably, the Dark Mirror's verdict is final. Other than the Dark mirror, the only option to increase the number of students in Diasomnia was for students from other dorms to move to other dorms. For this to happen, students must go through a lengthy ceremony.

There is only one exception in Night Raven College's recent history for students who chose to participate in this tradition. Unfortunately, there are no other students beyond him.

Instead of switching dorm affiliations, some students have elected to drop out of Night Raven College for various reasons.

Some started doubting their qualifications for Night Raven College.

A handful of students are overwhelmed by Night Raven College's curriculum and studies.

Other causes involved a confrontation with other students, being expelled by the headmaster for instigating trouble, being bullied, and the aforementioned students being tired of the Night Raven College's antics in general, in addition to the egos of the other students and the head wardens.

There was a dormitory which was the solitary exception to this problem. The Heartslabyul Dormitory. Thanks to Riddle Rosehearts' actions, the number of students from Heartslabyul dropped to zero.

When this happened, Dire Crowley, the Headmaster of Night Raven College, wept with joy and conveyed his gratitude to Riddle Roseheart by providing him with more responsibility besides being the house warden of Heartslabyul.

What was even more frustrating and depressing about Diasomnia's welcome party had to do with nobody of the first-year students liking the welcome party prepared for them by Malleus save Sebek. He began to cry and proclaimed his gratitude and heap praises upon praises toward his 'YOUNG MASTER MALLEUS' very loudly.

The first years are apprehensive during the welcoming celebration. When Malleus approached and sought to interact with them to keep them comfortable, they wore phony grins and trembled.

Malleus Draconia strove to be as approachable and welcoming as possible. The cuisine, tables, chairs, drinks, furniture, and other amenities are all of the highest and finest quality. Regardless of his efforts, it was inadequate.

Malleus could see the first year staring at him with dread in their eyes.

There were about 12 people at the welcome reception. It was mostly third-year students of diasomnia except for Silver who participated. There is no other second year, and the other third years who did not attend cited a variety of reasons for their incapacity to participate in the celebration.

After declaring that they 'enjoyed' the party and thanking Malleus, the first years exited and made their way promptly to their new quarters.

Sebek and Silver assisted in cleaning things after the welcoming party for a bit, however, Silver was tired and falling asleep again. Lilia requested that Sebek accompany Silver to his chamber and that Sebek proceed to his room.

Sebek was initially hesitant since he intended to aid him and Malleus. Lilia, on the other hand, has persuaded him.

"Sebek, you're the only one I could trust to assist and guide him to his room safely without trying to meddle with his things."

"Then, I would gladly do the task for you, Lord Lilia! I plan to come back after putting Silver in his bed to help with cleaning."

"No, settle into your room and sleep."

"Lord Lilia!"

"You happen to be a 1st year student presently at Night Raven College. The following day is going to be your 1st day, and also since you are not familiar with Night Raven College, there may be a possibility that you'll get lost. You should sleep early on and wake up ahead of schedule. The next day, you are free to roam everywhere and explore acclimating yourself with Night Raven College before the classes."

"YES! I UNDERSTAND! THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN, LORD LILIA!"

".. Sebek."

"Yes, Lord Lilia?"

"It is now nightfall. Maintain your voice down."

"I apologize. I would deliver Silver now to his room and sleep early."

Lilia did not sleep in his room after cleaning. He does not require any sleep because his sort was particularly active in the evening hours.

He might likewise rest at Trein's History of Magic Lessons the following morning to catch up on sleep, as he was accustomed to in previous years as a Night Raven College student.

While Lilia and Malleus are at Diasomnia's lounge at the stroke of midnight, Lilia's crimson eyes constrict when he perceives a presence at Diasomnia's entrance.

Malleus also discovered the presence at the entrance, beside Lilia. Detecting someone was within his abilities as one of Twisted Wonderland's five most powerful wizards. The presence at the entrance, in particular, oozes powerful yet peculiar magic.

Malleus is alarmed by the mysterious presence, but Lilia calls out to him before he has a chance to respond.

"Malleus, the presence outside is not a danger to us. Earlier at the entrance ceremony, there were so many people that it was difficult to differentiate them from each other. Despite that, I could still feel the presence of that person."

"Who is this person you're mentioning, Lilia?"

Lilia responds with a cryptic smile.

"Our new professor. Let's go ahead and see for ourselves what he demands from us, shall we?"