Chapter 01

The year is 1994.
–––––––––––––
Dave is currently dialing Kurt's phone number. It's been awhile since he's seen the frontman. He wanted to make sure Kurt is okay.

As the phone rings, Dave leaned himself forward on the kitchen counter.

It went straight to voicemail. Dave is persistent. He wants to get a hold of Kurt Cobain.

Dialing in Kurt's number once again. It rang twice before it finally answered. His heart dropped when he heard the phone being answered.

"Hello?" Kurt's voice spoke into the phone. His voice sounded so saddened, tired, and full of dread.

"Hi! Kurt, Hey." Dave felt his voice shake before he cleared the anxiety feeling out of his throat.

"What." Kurt replied. On the other line, the frontman is laying on his back in his bed. Beaded sweat is completely formed on his forehead.

His cerulean eyes staring up at the white popcorn ceiling. His pupils are pinpointing in a dilated form. He is high. Using this certain drug to cope with his aching pain and depression.

But overall, this is only making it completely worse.

"I– Uh,–" Dave scratched the back of his head. "–How are you?" He stammered out the question.

"Fine." Kurt muttered back in reply. "–Is your wife home?" Dave asked. Twirling the little cord in between his fingertips.

"No." Kurt coughed harshly before sitting up in his bed. "Why'd you call?" He asks into the phone. Being patient with the drummer on the other end.

"Because I want to come visit you." Dave replied, softly. A pinch of tears glistened in his eyes as he stabilized his breathing.

"My wife left." Kurt repeated. Dave nodded as he responded. "You told me."

"No," Kurt paused, licking his lips to moisten them. "She left. Me." He admitted into the phone.

"Oh?" Dave felt goosebumps coax his arms from the sudden shock. "She left me, man!" Kurt cried out.

"Where's Frances?" Dave asked. Listening much closer to Kurt's words. Kurt sighed into the phone call. "Gone with her mother."

"Divorced?" Dave hesitantly brought up the question. Biting the inside of his cheek.

"Yeah." Kurt croaked in reply. "Yeah, I'm divorced." "–When did it happen?" Dave asked, feeling bad for being nosy.

"Three weeks ago." Kurt responded. "Now, what?." "–Kurt, it sounds like you really need somebody right now. I'll come over and visit you. Okay?"

Kurt didn't speak. A flat-line is expressed on his lips as he scratched his slightly prickled beard.

"Okay?" Dave repeated softly. Either way - the drummer knows he's going to visit Kurt anyway.

"Okay." Kurt answered back. The phonecall completely went dead silent. The sound of the phone being set down and hung up can be heard in Dave's ear.

Dave sighed as he sets his landline back into the cradle. He ran a hand through his dark-brown greasy hair.

He needed a shower first.
Stepping up the stairs, Dave goes into his bedroom and takes out a fresh pair of clothes.

Walking into his bathroom and starting his shower. Dave stepped himself in.

As he washed himself, his mind is completely racing thoughts about Kurt Cobain.

Deciding to hurry this up, he finished washing the soap out of his hair and stepped out.

Turning the knobs, the shower water halts and completely stops. He picked up a towel and dried himself.

Sighing as he makes eye contact with his reflection. He shakes his head. Getting himself dressed, he pulled up his pants and zipped them up.

Slipping on his shirt, he pulled it over his top-half. He flicked off the light switch and left the bathroom.

Quickening his socked feet, Dave trotted down the stairs. Picking up his shoes and he tied them onto his feet.

Standing up, he stressfully ran a hand through his hair as he picked up a pack of cigarettes.

Grabbing his car-keys from the little hook before he left. He turned open the front door and quickly left.

Quickening his pace, Dave gets into his car. Throwing the pack of cigarettes on the passenger seat. He is saving them for Kurt.

Slamming the driver's car door to a close. Dave started to his car. Shifting his gear, he backed out of his parking spot.

Then he shifted it again, and started to drive in the direction of Kurt's Seattle home. It was a bit of a waze, about – an hour since he is currently resided in Olympia while Kurt is living in his Seattle house.

As he drives, the car drive is silent.

Only the sound of the rain pouring onto the vehicle's window panes.