33. What could go wrong?

It was the Brazilian gp week and Charles was nervous. He needed to score more points than Checo if he wanted to get second place on the drivers championship. Sure he trusted his driving, but he didn't trust the car or the team and let's just say that it wasn't an ideal situation. Luckily it was a sprint weekend, so he had more chances to score points before Abu Dhabi. It was kind of crazy that almost every driver would fly to UAE in the night after the race, but it had to be done since the time difference was big. 

Practice one was good. Charles right behind Checo and Max behind Charles, so Charles felt confident before the qualifying. 

"Charles wait up" Max yelled when he saw Charles walking in the paddock towards the garages. Charles turned to look at him and stopped. 

"I have one minute before I am ten minutes late so better be quick" Charles said trying to sound calm. 

"Yeah I only wanted to wish you good luck and just say that they expect rain during q3 so if they don't inform you about that I want you to know" He said. Charles started smiling. He liked that Max wanted him to succeed. 

"Thank you Maxy and good luck. You could always give me a little tow in the straight since we are so straight" Charles winked and started running towards the Ferrari garage. When he finally made it he was only 12 minutes late. 

"Well finally mister stupid decided to show up" Carlos joked when Charles walked past him. 

"Sorry that I have a caring boyfriend" Charles smirked. 

There had been rain before the qualifying but luckily the track had dried enough, so they got to do fast laps on soft tyres. However it was a close call. Charles was only 12th in q1 and Carlos 14th. Luckily they both still made it to q2. It had started to rain a bit again but still not enough for intermediates or wet tires. It went better than the first qualifying so there was nothing to worry about, except q3. It had started to rain little bit harder and it would start raining even more in a matter of time. Still everyone were putting soft tyres, well exept for Charles but he didn't know that until he went to queue for the green light and saw that everyone else had soft tyres. 

"Am I the only one with Inters?" He asked sounding a bit worried. 

"Yes you are the only one" Xavi told him. 

"Fuck why?" Now Charles was pissed. How could Ferrari ruin his chances again but still give Carlos a good chance for a decent lap. Charles noticed Perez behind him, and he decided that his only option was to keep him behind him for the warm up lap and the fast lap. When the light switched to green Charles drove as fast as he could with cold tyres, and he didn't let Checo through until after the first push lap when he pitted for soft tyres. It wasn't going good and then came the red flag because of George. Charles was furious. He didn't even try with the inters after the green flag since the rain was now too heavy. He got out of the car and didn't speak to anybody on his way to the drivers room. Only good thing was that Chaéco would start p9, and he p10 and Magnussens Pole, but he was really unhappy. 

"Fuck why do you always ruin my chances" He screamed and banged the door. Luckily there was almost no one there but still some people who probably felt the same way as Charles. Charles sat quietly in the room just listening the rain for about ten minutes before his pr manager came to get him for the interviews. He saw max there who apparently didn't know about what had happened. Max had gotten a p2 which he was happy about and Charles tried to smile when he walked past Max, but he just couldn't. Max noticed how miserable Charles looked and turned to look at his pr manager. 

"In what position did Charles finish?" He asked sounding a bit unsure. 

"I think he didn't set a lap at all since they putted inters in his car for the first run" She said. Max knew now why Charles looked so miserable, and he became mad. How could Ferrari always fuck up over Charles. Max had to finish his interviews and go to a quick team meeting about tomorrow before he could head to the hotel. He wanted to comfort Charles and to be there for him but red bull had decided to keep him at the track as long as possible. It was almost nine pm when he got back to the hotel. Max saw Charles laying in bed under the covers and speaking angry French probably to Arthur and his Mom. Charles turned to look at Max when he heard the door closing.