〔 Nauru 🇳🇷 〕

➯ Template; @/NewJerseySHlol

➯ Suggested; @/SpinThatThing34

➯ Up next; Finland 🇫🇮 [updated—but I might use the longer template]

︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶︶༉‧₊˚.

Country; ❝ Republic of Nauru ❞ (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) || ❝ Repubrikin Naoero ❞ (🇳🇷)

Country Nicknames; ❝ Pleasant Island ❞ (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿)

Human Name; Makamae Vaiatea

Nicknames; Maka, but rarely used.

Name Meaning; "Makamae" is a nauruan name that means "precious", it's a play-off of her Island Nickname. While she isn't the most pleasant person in my hc (which, I'll explain more in personality), her country is Nicknamed that so that has to be taken into account too. "Vaiatea" is a nauruan name that means "Distant waters", which Nauru is one of the least—if not, the least—visited country in the world, and closes themselves off, so they're relatively distant.

Gender + Pronouns; Cisgender Female (she/her)

Age; 109 || 31 January 1919 [Australian Trust was formed in 1920, but thr German colony ended in 1919]

Sexuality; Straight

Languages; Nauruan, English, (Basic) Chinese, (some) Marshallese, (some) Kosraen, and (some) Kiribatese

Relatives

➯ Maramen (Indigenous); Grandfather

➯ Nawodo (1888–1919); Biological Mother

➯ British Western Pacific Territories (1877–1976); "Adopted" Grandmother

➯ Australia 🇦🇺 (1788); "Adopted" Mother

➯ Tonga 🇹🇴 (1845); Older Step-sister

➯ New Zealand 🇳🇿 (1840);Older Step-Sibling

➯ Kiribati 🇰🇮 (1916); Older Step-Sister

➯ Fiji 🇫🇯  (1874); Older Step-Sister

➯ Tuvalu 🇹🇻 (1892); Older Step-Brother

➯ Papua New Guinea 🇵🇬 (1884); Older Step-brother

➯ Vanuatu 🇻🇺 (1906); Older Step-brother

Friends; Australia, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Philippines, China, Cuba, India, Russia, and UK

Neutral; Israel, United States (its complicated), and France (broke ties in 1995 due to their pacitic Missel testing)

Enemies; Taiwan (Nauru doesn't "believe" in Taiwan, they only believe in one China, which is the People's Republic)

Pets; [none]

Appearance; Nauru is a larger woman, she's obese with a BMI over 34 since hwr Country does stuggle with obesity and over 70% of its population is obese. She has shoulder length curly brown hair—roughly 2c— that she usually keeps down with a calophyllum flower resting on her left ear or 2 braids laced with calophyllum flowers (she likes those flowers, since its her national flower). She has a honey skin tone and a birth mark on her bottom left cheek almost by the corner of her mouth that looks like the 12 pointed star. (Her eyes are also just dark brown...sorry I forgot to mention that-)

Outfit wise, she wears a shoulderless white bardot top where the sleeves cut at her elbows. She has bell bottom stretchy pants that are dark blue—same blue as her flag, may I add—and have the rim around the waist print a small flower design and vines. On her left pant leg, there's a yellow—flag yellow—strip that wraps around her mid-thigh and under, a 12 pointed star.

Height; 156.6 cm [5'1"]

Personality; Nauru, this may surprise you, really isn't that pleasant of a person. She isn't unpleasant in a sense she's rude or shovy or manipulative towards other people for the sake of being that way, but she has no filter and doesnt understand social cues. Whatever is on her mind and whatever she thinks, she just say without thoroughly thinking about, which can lead to bad consequences. She's also a relatively lazy person, which isn't really her fault since her country had a very very high unemployment rate for a while and she cannot control that. While it has lowered a lot, it doesn't exclude the fact it meant she didn't get the necessary experience to keep up with other countryhumans as other working people did. She lived from what other's gave her, since she makes little to no money on what she does—agriculture—so trade, basic necessities, and food is heavily relied on other people. (Again; the unemployment rate has declined from 90–18% from 2003–2019, but that doesn't mean their history of stuggling employees doesn't exist, or shouldn't play a factor in her life too.)

Backstory; [I'll do this some time—not that I have no motivation, I just know some people skip the "other" section due to the long backstory's I give, and I think the "other" section on this is important.]

Other;

➯ Nauru and Australia used to be room mates even after she gained independence until Chosŏn and her (Australia) got engaged and Aussie moved out. Well, in my headcanon, Australia raised her since it was an Australian Trust/Territory for a while. She went through many colonial times, such as German, Japanese, and British, but its final colony was with Australia. 

➯ Now she's room mates with Tonga and Fiji.

➯ Just, for some side context, Tonga, Australia, and New Zealand did raise a lot of the younger Island Pacific/Oceania countries. Since they're the oldest by a lot shot and close to one another both geographically and politically, I just thought it would make sense if the three (who were British colonies or under some form of British rule) helped care for the other british colonies around them. I see Australia as that one woman who warns you about how crappy a job is before your job interview so you can run away and never return to that place.

➯ she still looks up to Aussie severely and follows in her footsteps quite a bit. She plays hwe sports, follows her rules, and trades with her a lot. 

➯ But she also looks up to Thailand and remain close friends with her. 

➯ She has type 2 diabetes.

➯ She collects all kinds of coral from the ocean and other islands.

➯ she isn't afraid of sharks or whales, as it is common to see them there.

➯ The government is trying to reduce its high obesity rate by encouraging healthier foods, and its people to walk more. (While 94% of people are overweight, 71% of those people are obese.) The causation is mainly due to unhealthy diets, the influence of Western foods supposedly got in the way and drained out the fishing and gathering aspects of Nauruan dietary. Plus, 90% of Nauru's land area is not able to be cropped on, or grow thongs so nauruans do rely on processed foods (which, are ultimately full of sugars and far). I believe the obese rate has declined to only 61% in something I read reguarding 2023 statics, but I cannot say if that's because BMI calculations changed, or if their efforts are actually working, so I'm not going to confirm nor deny that or say its true.