Chapter Fifty-Four

4.24.2023

A/N: Y'all, imma be honest, I don't know how long this book is going to be by the time I finish it lol. Probably long enough that I might have to split it into two books:') Anyway, I hope y'all know how thankful I am that you stick around for the updates even though they sometimes take so long! Much love <3
Side note, i took this picture in arizona and it kinda gives off zombie apocalypse vibes, but i'm not sure why lol

"We're really doing this?" Rylie asks, her thumb hovering over the send button.

"I mean, look at them." I giggle. "I think we have to.

"Okay," Rylie turns to face me, crossing her legs. "Let's talk about it for a second. We both know it's happening, but are there any cons we should consider?"

"Right, you're smart. Cons..." I nod, mimicking her sitting position. "We both work and have school."

"But we'd already figured out a good system with Harvey most days, so would that really be an issue?" Rylie questions. She's right, we'd scheduled our jobs and classes so that Harvey wouldn't be alone for more than a couple of hours a day.

"You're right. And even on our busy days, Harvey and Sammy will obviously keep each other company."

"Exactly!" Rylie grins. "So, potty training." Her eyes dart to the puppy, watching her skeptically. "Sean and Lilly generally potty train them early on, but you can never trust a puppy in a brand new place. All they need is a little excitement or nervousness, and they'll pee everywhere."

I giggle, nodding. "So we're gonna have to keep an eye on her and probably take her out a lot."

"Yes, but it shouldn't take too long to get her used to things, which is perfect because..."

"We both have the next week and a half off!"

"Yep! No work or school."

"It's not going to be too expensive to feed two dogs, right?" I ask hesitantly. I know we can afford it either way, but I also want to be sure we can keep saving money the way we currently are.

"It won't be too much more, but I don't think we need to be worried since we've got two steady incomes." Rylie smiles, taking my hands. "Although, you're definitely making more than me."

"Only because I finally got a raise." I laugh. It had taken some convincing, but Larry, my moss, had finally seen that I was putting in more effort than every other worker. It seems like after over a year of working there, he's finally starting to see that I am his best waitress. Not that I'm letting it get to my head or anything.

"A raise that you deserved." Rylie reminds me as she cups my cheek. "By the way, have I told you how proud I am of you?"

"Mmm... I'm gonna say no because I really like hearing it." I grin, my smile widening when Rylie kisses me.

"Then I will tell you over and over. I am so proud of you, baby." RYlie says softly.

"Thank you, love." I whisper before pressing my lips back to hers.

As the kiss deepens, Rylie suddenly pulls away. "Wait," She giggles, apologizing when I pout. "I'm sorry, we just gotta do this before forgetting." She holds out her phone, showing the text we'd composed to Lilly and Sean about one of the other puppies that had yet to find a home. I nod and Rylie grins, pressing the send button.

"It's really lucky that they still have a couple puppies available from the same litter." I say as I watch Harvey and Sammy play tug of war with a now mangled rope toy. Sammy's little growls are so cute and the farthest thing from terrifying, and I can't help but giggle as I watch them. Even though he's a small dog, Harvey is huge compared to Sammy, but he doesn't use that to his advantage. Instead, he lets the small puppy pull him across the floor as they tug on opposite ends of the rope, the slick wood only making it easier for Sammy.