二十七: Fireflies' Eternal Love

It was a lazy summer afternoon, Junkyu just got down the bus. It was quite hot inside the bus so he was sweating. However, as he stepped on the road, the gentle afternoon breeze welcomed him, he breathed in deep, feeling refreshed after a long day of work. He looked up, the sky was a clear azure, there was no cloud. It seemed as if he could fly and peek at other universes. He sighed. It had been two years already. Two difficult, adjusting years. He remembered how he managed to finish a few courses and get the required certificate to find a decent job. Of course, Jihoon and Hyunsuk helped him, through their professors, through some other non profit organizations. It was a bumpy ride, but he managed to score well. Maybe it was his hidden prowess or Jihoon's constant support. He made it.

And now Jihoon was a final year student, still doing internship. Their collective salary was pretty satisfactory, promising to rise because Jihoon really had a bright future. Yet, they didn't get too ambitious. They changed the small apartment, for sure, but not too expensive. They chose a moderate apartment this time, near Jihoon's uni. It had at most three rooms but all of them were spacious so it was comfortable. They didn't have much to decorate the place with, and they both chose to stay minimalistic until Jihoon finds a permanent job. All that mattered was that the place was cozy and homely and they both loved living there.

Junkyu walked out of the elevator and stood before their door. There was a small plant hanging from a hook right beside the door, Jihoon brought it from the company, one of his seniors gave it to him. It was a small money plant, really pretty. Junkyu touched the tip of its biggest leaf. He always admired the insane adjustability of this plant- like they can grow in water, in soil, and stay alive without sunlight for several days! Impressive honestly.

He took out his keys and unlocked the door. Jihoon's shoes were there, meaning, he was inside. Junkyu smiled. Lately, Jihoon had been quite busy with his studies and work, barely making it home at around 10. It would be a lie to say that Junkyu didn't miss him. But he knew there was nothing to do about it. This one year would be rough, he'd have to sacrifice.

"Ji, I'm home!" Junkyu spoke aloud while taking off his shoes. He heard shuffling, then some footsteps and a blinding smile later on. The love of his life was there, in a sleeveless vest and black pants, looking so effortlessly fine.

"Kyu!!!" Jihoon fell upon him, not minding that his shirt was literally wet from sweat, "I missed you!"

"Me too, me too." Junkyu couldn't help smiling. Jihoon's arms were strongly tied around him, he couldn't even move. But it was blissful. A beautiful serenade.

"Go take a shower. I'll see what we have for dinner." Jihoon said. Junkyu obeyed. He indeed needed a shower. So he grabbed his dresses and headed towards the washroom. Once he got out, after quite some time, Jihoon was still in the kitchen. His laptop was open on the table, maybe he was working. Junkyu felt a tug at his heart. Jihoon was working so hard, yet he went to make dinner leaving everything. Did Junkyu actually deserve such a wonderful man?

He went to the kitchen, found his man handling a small dish full of hot food. He peeked, Jihoon answered for his sake, "It's just pasta, Kyu. Sorry I didn't notice before that we don't have groceries."

"It's not your fault, babe." Junkyu quickly assured him, "Pasta is good. Anything you make is good!"

Jihoon shook his head, "You're whipped, ain't you?"

"Happily." Junkyu grinned. He followed a smiley Jihoon to the table, put two glasses filled with water and ate from the same dish. It's become their habit. In order to save time, they stain less utensils, meaning, eating from the same dish. Jihoon fed him, Junkyu did too. Their synergy was just sky high at that point.