十七: Melancholy of Soul

Junkyu stared at his sharp eyed Sphinx cat carefully held in his palms with a racing heart. The small loving pet of him was melting as he held it high, satisfied with the attention it received. Junkyu lowered him, eyes tearing up with just the thought of anything bad happening to his dear cat-noona. But he raised him again next moment. He had prepared for this moment for so long! For the last few weeks, he had locked himself up in his room. To some, it seemed that he was habitually hiding inside his anti social cocoon, but he was, in fact, shunning his skills. He'd barely talk to anyone- his parents, cousins, Yoshi- only Jeongwoo got to grab his attention because, well, he was educated with Junkyu's secrets. Yet Junkyu preferred to do everything alone. From sending giant plushies or fruits to live butterflies or insects to his very own inter universal guy, Jihoon. Since Junkyu was standing with a 99% success rate, only messing up with half a strawberry, he decided to put something valuable in line this time.

So that he can concentrate more effectively. So that he doesn't fail when its his own turn. But looking at the lazy cat trusting him with its all, Junkyu couldn't help fearing the outcome. What if he messes up? What if his pet Aengdu splits midway? What if it can't land in the right channel? Will he ever be able to get his dear pet back?

Junkyu dropped Aengdu on bed, took a page instead. He wrote about his fear and transported it to Jihoon. His palms were sweaty, legs shaking in nervousness. He was too scared to risk his cat's life.

He summoned Jihoon's letter minutes later. The elder had consoled him, encouraged him with the assurance that as long as he kept his focus, he would't ever miss. Jihoon inspired him to give it a go, that he'd catch Junkyu's loving pet from anywhere. Junkyu sighed big time. He picked the cat up again, this time speaking to it.

"Noona, you trust me, right? I'm gonna send you to a very awesome guy, okay? You're not scared, right?"

Poor cat only mewed in response. Junkyu took a deep breath, gathered all his sincere love and willpower. He started imagining Aengdu on Jihoon's table. There were so many different scenarios clouding his mind, glimpses of some other places- like a green sky, a yellow sea, purple pink people with no faces. Junkyu shook them all away. Among the tiny dots of unrecognisable frames, he found out the one with Jihoon's room. It had familiar colors, warm toned. Junkyu focused on that. He imagined a golden road connecting to that room, and his pet Aengdu standing on that road. Junkyu pushed it forward. And his cat took a lazy stroll on it. Junkyu felt a strong headache, trying to force his eyes shut but he kept looking at his pet. He was scared that Aengdu would fall off the road, but it didn't. Slowly, step by step, it reached Jihoon's room. When it finally sat on Jihoon's table, Junkyu let go. His head was being pounded with a hammer. He opened his eyes, there was nothing in his hold anymore.

He quickly passed Jihoon another paper. Unlike the cat, it took a mere second- he had really mastered channeling small non living things.

Junkyu waited with a beating heart, for exactly one minute as agreed. He was dying with numerous possibilities of missing. He kept chanting in his head 'be safe, be safe, be safe'. He started regretting his decision. No matter how desperate was to go back to Jihoon, he shouldn't have risked his pet's life. What will he do if Jihoon writes that he didn't receive Aengdu? Would he be able to forgive himself?

Junkyu summoned the paper back. With trembling hands, he unfolded it, and screamed the moment he saw the colourful paw-prints freshly sitting on the page. Jihoon received his pet, and confirmed it by leaving prints on the page.

"YES! YES! YES!!" Junkyu jumped up and down in excitement. He did not only manage to keep his valuable pet alive, he also succeeded in sending such a huge animal to Jihoon. He was beyond happy. He immediately wrote a happy message to Jihoon, going downstairs soon after. Now that he knew how to teleport animals, he decided to try with small fireflies again. Therefore, he went to his garden. It was almost evening. Although there was some faint red hue still lighting up the sky, Junkyu could easily see the greenish yellow glow on small fireflies near his favourite Chrysanthemum bed. Junkyu stared at them fondly, whispering, "Hey, wanna take a tour to another flower?"