Ch. 33: Stargazing

Heer's P.O.V.

Magical. Enchanting. Perfect.

Mine and Salaar's first kiss, well proper first kiss if you ignore kindergarten, was all that and more.

Salaar paused, taking in the word of endearment I had called him—ruhum. A grin spread on his mouth and he leaned in for another kiss. Just as he placed his lips on mine, both of our phones began ringing at the same time.

It was the shortest kiss, but it was enough to send my heart racing.

"Yahan bhi koi chain nahin hai," he muttered while pulling away.
(There's no peace here either.)

I giggled quietly, simultaneously realizing how pink my burning cheeks must be.

We reached for our respective phones, answering the FaceTime calls from our parents.

"Happy birthday, Heer!" they all wished at the same time.

"Thank you!"

"We were just about to cut the cake," Salaar informed, propping his phone then mine on the table so our parents could see.

"Oh! Let's sing!" Ami suggested.

Then suddenly everyone began singing 'Happy Birthday' to me through the phone, Salaar included, while I cut the cake. I finally blew out the candles, which were well melted past their midpoints.

Salaar fed me a piece of the cake before I held some up to his mouth. "Happy birthday," he wished me again sweetly.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Kitni badi ho gayi hai meri beti. Waqt kaise beet gaya itne jaldi, pata hi nahin chala," Baba remarked with an emotional smile.
(My daughter has grown up so much. I don't know how time flew by so fast.)

"Tum ruko, Imran. Jab nana banne chaloge, waqt beetne ko kya kehte hai, tab asal mein samajh aayega."
(You wait, Imran. When you are about to become a grandfather, that's when you will really understand what it means for time to fly.)

"Nahin nahin," Anne shook her head, "walime se pehle koi khush khabri nahin!"
(No no, no good news before the walima!)

Alright. Yep. It was time for us to hang up the phone.

"Anne," my eyes widened.

"Haan, Halima, thik keh rahi ho. Heer ke liye sab bohat mushkil ho jayega. Waise halaat mein zyada pressure hoga uss ke liye-"
(Yes, Halima, you're right. Everything will be very difficult for Heer. In that condition, it will be too much pressure for her-)

"Ami," Salaar called. "Ab rakhte hai. Kal baat karenge. Shab bakhair."
(I'm going to hang up now. We'll talk tomorrow. Good night.)

"Goodnight," I echoed, quickly reaching for the end button.

Salaar and I looked at each other silently for a moment before we began laughing. He reeled me into his arms, and I held him tightly, nestling into his warm, cozy embrace with my eyes closed. The contentment I felt couldn't be described. My love, my Salaar.

He pecked my temple. "The birthday girl's sleepover party isn't over yet."

I moved my head back to look up at him incredulously, "What do you mean?! Sally, you have work in the morning. Let's go to bed now."

"It's officially your birthday now, love," he placed his hands on my shoulders and guided me back to the sofa.

"I know what you have in mind, Sally. You want to stay up until the sun comes up, and I appreciate your sentiment, canım, but we should sleep now."