Ch. 29: Rihan

Heer's P.O.V.

It felt like the entire world had shifted when I affirmed my feelings for Salaar.

"Heer-" Kamran shook his head like he didn't want to believe his ears.

"Yes," I whispered, confirming.

I like Salaar. I like like Salaar.

This was so new to me.

Tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

"What we had, it's over now. We can never go back to it, Kamran. And I don't want to. I'm sorry," I spoke softly, "I want to focus on him and my marriage."

Despite all he's done, I was trying to be gentle. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings.

His lips parted, but he couldn't say anything.

"Aur rahi baat maafi ke, mere Baba ko lekar jo bhi ghalat fehmiyaan hai, jo bhi nafrat hai, jo bhi giley shikhwein hai, sab door karo. Baat karo unse, tumhare rishtedaaron se, maazi ke sach ke talaash karo. Main aaj bhi maanti hoon ke jaise tum sochte ho unn ke baare mein, waise nahin hai mere Baba. Unn ke liye, aur apne aap ke liye—azaad kardo khud ko beete hue kal ke bairiyon se. Jab tumhare dil se saare karvahat nikaal doge, maazi ke dard, uske bojh ko chhod doge, umeedi ka intekhab karoge, samajhna maine tumhe maaf kardiya."
(And about forgiveness, whatever misunderstands, hatred, complaints you have regarding my Baba, get rid of them. Talk to him, to your relatives, search for the truth of the past. I still believe that what you think of my Baba is not how he is. For him, for you—free yourself from the shackles of the past. When you will empty your heart of all bitterness, pain of the past, when you let go of the burden of it, when you will choose hope, understand that I have forgiven you.)

He stared at me while tears raced down his cheeks.

"Excuse me." I took off my apron and hung it on the hook before peeking my head into the kitchen, "Clara, I need you to handle the front. I have to go home now."

Kamran watched as I walked past him. I paused to offer him a small reassuring smile.

Salaar's P.O.V.

I stopped the treadmill and wiped my sweat with a hand towel before sitting down with my phone and staring at my butterfly's contact.

I couldn't remember the last time we went more than 24 hours without having a proper conversation.

I don't know why she didn't want to see me, why she wouldn't let me see her eyes, why she was acting like that, but it made me feel bad. What had I done that she was depriving me of her glance? I won't be able to be near her for two weeks, and she knew that, yet she still took away from the remaining time I had left with her. I miss her to no end when she's gone. Was she that unaware of how her gaze brings life to my heart?

I took a deep breath and pressed on the call icon. Hopefully she will want to speak to me and we can FaceTime so I could see her.

Heer's P.O.V.

As soon as I got home, I went up to my room and sat on the bed with my phone.

I just wanted to talk to Salaar, to hear him and speak to him. I hope he will answer and is not upset with me anymore.

I pressed on the call button, holding my breath as I waited for him to pick up.

Salaar's P.O.V.

The call went straight to voicemail. Did she reject my call?

Heer's P.O.V.

The call went straight to voicemail. Did he reject my call?