Ch. 11: Double Date

🎶"Ishq di ohi reet purani, raja mar jaye, mar jaye rani. Ishq kise peer de pair da kanda, samajh na aaye bura ya changa. Ishq jadon maare aisa maare, ho sir de aage tikde taare. Ishq te chaldi phirdi maut. Ishq ne shayar maare bahut."

"It's love's old tradition, where the king dies and the queen dies. Love is the thorn that gets stuck in the foot of a spiritual guide. It makes one unable to distinguish between bad and good. When love kills, it kills in such a way that stars painfully get stuck onto the forehead. Love is walking-living death. Love has killed many poets."🎶

- Salooq | Jaani | B Praak

Salaar's P.O.V.

The door creaked open and Daniaal walked in, "Did you guys miss me?"

"No," I retorted.

"The feeling's mutual," he sat down next to Heer, "What are you guys talking about?"

"I just told Heer about my internship."

"Aren't you sad he's moving away, Heer? I am even though I don't live here. Can you imagine how Chachi is going to react? She's always like 'Salaar this,' 'Salaar that.'"

She looked at me, "I am," my eyes met hers, "and Ami is going to have a really hard time."

My cousin slung an arm around her shoulders, "Well, just gotta make the most of the time left with Bhai."

"Yes-" her phone then buzzed. "I have to go to Hayat. There's a whole other story about that, but I don't have time now. We'll talk more later." She stood up and ruffled my hair playfully before bidding both of us goodbye.

As soon as she left, the bag of ice in my right hand fell to the floor. My fingers twitched, my flesh pink from holding the cold pack. It did nothing to numb the raging pain inside.

"What'd she say?"

I stared as my natural color slowly returned to my hand, "The truth about her and Kamran."

"Maybe going to London will do you some good," he tried to encourage me to no avail, "I gotta give it to you though, Bhai. You did good in front of her. You were a mess yesterday. I didn't think you would be able to face her like that."

"Do you have a cigarette?"

Heer's P.O.V.

"Thanks for the ride, aşkım," I told Kamran while tying my apron.

"Of course, babe," he took the nearest seat to the counter. "How's Salaar doing?"

I began working on a drink for him, "He's doing better. Thankfully, his wrist isn't that bad. His car is pretty wrecked though... He's moving to London for an internship."

"Really?"

I nodded distractedly.

I could feel him studying me while I worked.

As I dusted some cocoa powder on the cappuccino, I slipped my phone out and pressed on messages. I'd texted Haniya, apologizing and asking if we could meet up to talk. She left my messages on read.

A sigh left my lips.

I plated the mug on a saucer and brought it to Kamran with some biscotti biscuits, taking a seat in front of him.

"I take it that you're not happy about his internship."

My eyes lifted to his, "It's not that I'm not happy about it, it's just that he's literally been next door all my life and now all of a sudden he won't be there anymore."