Ch. 23: The Husband Card

Heer's P.O.V.

"Haniya?"

Her gaze fell to the ground, trying to piece together what I had just said.

"Hani..."

She looked at me, studying me with tears pooling in her eyes. "You a-and Salaar," her voice quavered, barely above a whisper, "You guys got married?"

I stepped closer, taking her hands, "Haniya-"

"You married him?" the corners of her lips tugged downwards, her orbs flashing with betrayal and hurt.

I nodded softly.

"Why? How?" she shook her head, "What?" she glanced down before looking at me again, "But you- Kamran?"

"I- We- my grandfather suggested it, and- and we agreed."

She stared at me, lips parted, as the tears trickled down her cheeks.

My eyes watered as well while I whispered, "I'm sorry, Haniya."

She pulled her hands away and quickly wiped her tears. She laughed softly, though her eyes kept flowing, "Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

She wasn't taunting me. She laughed lightly as though she thought me apologizing was silly. Nevertheless, I knew she was attempting to mask her feelings.

I gazed at her helplessly, not wanting to actually verbalize it because it would hurt her even more.

"This... This is good. He loves you, doesn't he?" her smile trembled.

"Haniya..." I took her hands again as my tears fell.

She chuckled sadly, shaking her head at the floor, "No, not Haniya. He doesn't love Haniya." She lifted her gaze, "You guys are meant to be. And this was bound to happen... There's nothing better for someone to end up with the one they love. I'm happy for you, and I'm really happy for him."

I hugged her, biting my shaking lower lip.

"I'm not sad!" she exclaimed over my shoulder lightheartedly, lifting an arm off me to wipe her cheeks, "Why are you?" She pulled back, wearing a small smile, "Huh? Why are you crying?" Her head turned towards the pitcher on the counter, "Can I have a drink?"

"Hani-"

"I'm fine, baba! Let's talk over some drinks please. I haven't had anything from Hayat in a long time."

"It's a caramel brulee latte. Do you want that? I could make you something else"

"I'll have it only if you'll share."

I mustered a smile. She took a seat at the nearest empty table and I quickly poured the latte into two mugs then called Alejandra back to the front before joining Haniya.

"This is so good," she took a sip. "And while we're on the topic of drinks, I wanted to tell you... I would love to come back to Hayat. I've been working at a small retail shop at the mall, but it's not the same. But there's no obligations! After being such a horrible friend, I don't expect you to-"

"You can start whenever you want to, Hani," I grinned. "I'll let Alejandra know," I pointed at her, "She's the manager. I hired her to look after everything while I've been busy... Your apron is still in the back."

Every Hayat employee had an apron with their names sewn onto them in cursive. I couldn't bring myself to throw hers out when she quit.

"Really?"

I nodded eagerly.

"Thank you, Heer. Really."

"Of course."