Ch. 22: Chai & Kebabs

Heer's P.O.V.

My wet eyes bore into my father's as he walked over to me.

"Baba se abhi tak naraaz ho?" he caressed my head, gazing at me emotionally.
(Are you still mad at Baba?)

Salaar quietly offered my grandparents to take a seat on the sofa.

"Kuch kaha kyun nahin aap ne?" I asked quietly. My eyebrows furrowed as I glanced at everyone, "Kisi ne?"
(Why didn't you say anything? Anyone?)

"Maine hi mana kiya tha sab ko."
(I was the one who forbade everyone.)

The tears trickled down my cheeks, "Kyun?"
(Why?)

"Out of fear of it ruining your relationship with him." He looked down, disappointed, "Yet, it still happened." He peered at my eyes, "I knew he doesn't like me—his father's best friend. I've known since he was really young; your Bilquis Chachi, his mother whom I consider my sister, told me. Why? I don't know. He's not in touch with her either, that I also don't know why. But when I saw you were serious about someone, and as fate would have it that it happened to be him, I didn't want anything to tarnish it. I didn't think he knew who his father's friend was. I didn't know that he knew who I was, that I am that man. He never said anything nor gave me any hint, so I chose not to tell him that I was his father's best mate, except that I knew his parents. Bilquis also agreed that I shouldn't reveal my true identity to him, that I am the man he's disliked as a child, in case he grew up to still feel the same way. To preserve your relationship. What you two didn't know, wouldn't have hurt you. But we were wrong."

"You could have told me," I whispered.

"I know," he cupped my cheeks, "We chose not to, but I wish we had. I regret it, beta. I truly do. I'm sorry."

When he lowered his hands, Anne stroked my hair, tears pooling her matching light blue eyes, "Elders can make mistakes too, bebeğim. We're so sorry."

"Hamare wajah se tum uss musibat ke chakkar mein par gaye, heera. Agar hum sab pehle bata dete toh tumhe itna sab sehne nahin padte. Maaf karna humein, beta," Dadu spoke solemnly from behind me, placing his hand on my shoulder.
(Because of us you got caught up with that problem, diamond. Had we told you before, then you wouldn't have had to endure so much. Forgive us, dear.)

I felt bad that they were all apologizing to me.

I tilted my head, "Dadu-"

"Yes, beta-" Ami gazed at me with sad eyes.

"Ami-"

My head turned towards my father as he expressed, his eyes wet, "Mera iraada tumhe chot pochane ka nahin tha. Yaqeen mano, Heer. Tumhari Anne aur main bohat mushkilon ke baad ek huwe; apne mohabbat se judaa ho jaane ka dard humein pata hai."
(My intention wasn't to hurt you. Believe me, Heer. Your Anne and I united after a lot of difficulties; we know the pain of getting separated from the one we love.)

"Agar tumhari Dadi aur Dadu nahin maante, agar hamare saath nahin dete, toh hum aaj yahan nahin hote ek saath," Anne added.
(If your Dadi and Dadu hadn't agreed, had they not supported us, then we wouldn't be here together today.)

Baba continued, "Hum nahin chahte the ke tum bhi uss dard se guzro, bhale hi halaat alag the. Main madad karna chahta tha taki woh rishta tod na de tumse. Lekin ab, bad-qismati se," he then glanced at Salaar, "ya khush-qismati se," he looked back at me, "itne derr baad ehsaas ho raha hai, ke agar sach jaan jaane ki wajah se, mere pehchaan ki wajah se, usse tumhara haath chodna tha, toh uss tarah ke humsafar nahin chahiye tha tumhare liye. I'm sorry, Heer. Because of my poor judgment-"
("We didn't want you to have to go through that pain, albeit the situation was different. I wanted to help to prevent him from ending his relationship with you. But, unfortunately," he then glanced at Salaar, "or fortunately," he looked back at me, "I realized so late that after knowing the truth, after learning of my identity, if he would want to let go of your hand, then I wouldn't have wanted a life partner like that for you. I'm sorry, Heer. Because of my poor judgment-")