" I work hard, I don't need that."

You woke up to sunlight pouring into your small living room. You scanned the room for any signs of movement. You looked down and javi was gone, the blanket was on the floor. You sat up and stretched your back out which was stiff from leaning against the arm of the couch all night. you stood up and walked to your bathroom to wipe your makeup off that had caked onto your face the night before. you let the water run for a moment letting your hands feel its warmth, you stayed still as the warm water flowed down your cold skin. something about it was oddly comfortable. you sat there letting the water drape over your skin for a while. you were caught off guard by the sound of footsteps walking around. you poked your head out and saw a shirtless javier walking around your apartment looking for something. you washed your face quickly and walked out to great him, you grabbed the blanket from off the couch and wrapped it around him cold body. "did you sleep well." he nodded and pulled you in with the blanket, wrapping it around you as well. "go change, I'll make breakfast." you looked up at him, "javi i don't have anything for breakfast." he smiled at you, "then I guess we'll have to go out." you went back to your room and changed into something more appropriate for breakfast, more brunch at this point. Javi had made you a cup of coffee and had informed you that you needed to stop by your office and gather your items that would soon be transferred to javis department. You changed into a comfortable pair of slacks and a thick cream colored sweater which you paired with a pair of flats. you put on a fresh face of makeup that wasn't too heavy and pulled your hair back away from your face, javi insisted he braided your hair before you left and you let him. he wet your hair and brushed it making sure to get any knots out, his nimble fingers made quick work of giving you a pretty hairstyle. you were used to having your hair braided, it was your mothers go to style when you were growing up. it was the only thing that reminded you of her, yes her issues grew both of you apart but your inner child still missed she was with you when you where no taller the dining room table, the way she carried you around or sing lullabies to you before you went to bed. it was all gone, you would never get to experience that again, it was never your fault, it never had been YOUR fault. "ready to go?" javi pulled his belt through the loops. his shirt was the same color as your shirt, a lot looser, but his jeans never loosened up. he slipped on a pair of brown cowboy boots to match the belt he wore, he reached to the counter to put his aviators between the slit in his shirt. "Let's go." he smiled at you and pulled his brown jacket down from the coat rack and draped it over his broad shoulders.

the drive was short, javi helped you out of the car to a little cafe that sat on the sidewalks and watched moving traffic go by. although, it was tucked away with a large array of plants that gave its own isolated effect. it was a monday, so the crowd was very small and you both sat down very quickly when you had come into the cafe. you were led to a small table by the window where you had a view of the empty patio space with a few plants to accent the crowded pad of chairs and tables. "do you like coffee javi? like, enjoy it?" he looked up above his menu at you, "i need it." he let out a soft chuckle and set his menu down. "what about you?" you smiled, "i need it too." he smiled back at you, "although, I do like cuban coffee. sweet, very strong. like someone I know." you felt your face blush and you picked up your menu again to flip through the laminated pages of different options. "should i get pancakes, waffles or french toast?" you looked at him, "well, you're going to eat the same thing just with a different shape. except for french toast, that's different." you furrowed your brows, "well pancakes do a better job of soaking up the butter and syrup and waffles just. they just hold it in their groves." you tried to use your hands to explain the very clear difference but he just laughed at you. the waitress came by and refilled yours and his cups of coffee, you thanked her and she walked back off. "should i get an omelette." you looked at him, "depends, what are you gonna get in it?" he shrugged, "bacon, hash browns, sun dried tomatoes, a lot of cheese, and maybe sausage. with a side of eggs. sunny side up." he folded his menu and placed it down on the table. "what are you gonna get?" you flipped through the menu one more time. "i think i'm just going to have pancakes, with a side of bacon and hashbrowns with caramelized onions. also a bowl of fruit and a smoothie." you folded your menu and stacked it on top of his. your waitress came by once again and took yours and his orders, you thanked her and she took the menu from you both. you both just talked, fairly openly. he talked about work and the stuff he did in the field that he didn't want to tell you before, you just listened. you liked to hear javi talk and ramble about whatever he needed, his so called 'brain dumps'. "hey javi, why did steve cut me off at dinner yesterday." he stopped talking to pay attention to your question. "he just doesn't want connie to worry about being down here. connie has seen DEA a few times in her unit, she thinks if she helps them she could be a target for the cartel, which isn't unrealistic and can happen, but it doesn't seem that way. So, in your case you weren't meant to be a target, your boss was because of the information that you gathered but he ran his mouth about it and thus, the shoot out. steve just doesn't want connie to get worked up and scared. she doesn't leave the house sometimes." that made a lot more sense. " I feel bad, she's so sweet." he shrugged, "happens." your waitress came back with your meals, your mouth watered when she put your plate down in front of you. three fluffy pancakes stacked to perfection with melted button oozing from the top down onto your plate. javi dug in and scarfed down his omelet pretty fast, you had only eaten half of your stack of pancakes when he was already finished. he told you to take your time and finish your meal. when you had finished you had only left a singular piece of cantaloupe of your plate, you were stuffed, you could feel your stomach tighten from it pushing up against your slacks. " I feel pregnant." he smiled at you and had waved down the waiter or the check, he turned his attention back on you. "you look pregnant." your eyes widened at him, "in a good way, like theres more of you to love." you scoffed, "nice save." he smiled at you and passed on his card to your waitress, then she quickly returned. you both thanked her for her hospitality and he left her a tip, javi helped you out the door and to his car.