Chapter seventy-three - Plan

With a few groans, I opened my eyes. Daylight immediately made me blink a few times, until I got used to it.

'Nora?' A certain blonde boy asked.
I sat straight up.
'Easy.' Thomas carefully helped me.

Then I realized what had happened. The Griever and thrown me on the floor. Alby and Clint... I couldn't even think of them without my eyes getting watery. Just then I found out how much Alby and Clint had actually meant to me.

'Hey, it's okay.' I heard Newt say.

'Sorry- I don't know why I'm crying..' I sobbed quietly.

'It's okay to cry, love. You can cry.' Newt comforted me. After wiping all the tears away, I looked around. Thomas and Teresa sat in front of me and I seemed to be in the Pit. Newt, Logan, Minho, and Chuck looked through the fence, on the other side of the Pit.

'Why am I in the pit?' I frowned and wondered what I did to end up here.

'Gally took lead.' Newt explained. 'And threw you guys in the Pit. He doesn't trust them.' He motioned at Thomas and Teresa. 'And since you were unconscious he threw you in too.'

'And Thomas was unconscious too.' Minho added.

'What?' I turned to Thomas. 'What happened?'

'That shank stabbed himself with a Griever its stinger.' Minho responded before Thomas could. 'He just told us what he remembered.'

'I'm sorry. I just had to.'

'What did you remember?'

'Me and Teresa, we helped.. building the maze.' Thomas tapped his feet. 'We were watching you guys for years.'

I was watching them too, I knew that. But I didn't help build the maze.

'What matters now is that we escape.' Newt said. 'Not that we argue about which side y'all are on. I know you're on our side.'

'Well, what's the plan?'

~

I had to act unconscious so our plan would work. A boy dropped me down on the floor and I assumed I was in front of Gally. I slightly opened my eye and noticed Teresa was held by another boy. Thomas was dropped onto the ground next to me.

'It doesn't feel right, man.' I recognized Jeff's voice.

Yeah, what if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home.' Someone else added.

We are home. Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall.' Gally argued.

You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything?' Teresa added in.

No. But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering.'

Suddenly Teresa was being tied to a pole.

'What? Wait! Gally, what are you doing?' Teresa shouted.

'You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he has done? Look around you! Look at our Glade!' Gally motioned at it. 'This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for... everything goes back to the way it was.'

'Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy!' Teresa looked at the Gladers.

'You shut up.' Gally ordered.

'If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back... until you're all dead!' Teresa kept going, trying to convince the Gladers.

'Shut up!' Gally repeated. 'Tie them up!' He motioned at me and Thomas. The boys didn't respond. 'Do you hear me? I said tie him up!'

Just when they grabbed me and Thomas, I elbowed the boy in his stomach. Immediately he let go of me and the same thing happened with Thomas. Gally wanted to jump into action, but Minho stopped him by putting a pole in front of his face. Newt hit the boy that held me before with a pole and Chuck ran towards us. Logan fought some boys too. The plan worked.

'You're full of surprises, aren't you?' Gally looked at Thomas once we all gathered in front of the doors.

'You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving. Anyone else who wants to come, now is your last chance.' Thomas held his pole in front of him and glanced at the Gladers.

'Don't listen to him, he's just trying to scare you.' Gally said.

'No, I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here. We don't belong here. This place isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. At least, out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that.'

'Sorry, Gally.' Jeff walked up to us and I gave him a nod. Frypan, Winston, and a few others followed.

'Just come with us, Gally.' Thomas tried one last time.

'Good luck against the Grievers.' And with that, Gally walked away.