Chapter eighteen - Sunset

I quickly cleaned everything up and covered my wrist. When I got back in my own hut, Newt was sitting on my bed.

Not knowing what to say for a second, I stood there.

'Nora.' Newt motioned at the seat next to him.

Did the boys tell him what I asked? Does he know about it?

Unsure I sat down next to Newt and looked at the ground, fidgeting with my hands.

'What happened today?' Newt questioned.

'Nothing.'

'Why didn't anyone say something during dinner?' Newt asked with a serious tone.

'It's nothing, Newt.' Obviously the limp was a sensitive subject they never talked about, and asking Newt about it was definitely not a good idea.

'Just tell me.' Newt started. 'What's it about?'

I hesitated for a few seconds. 'It's about you.' I bit my lip. Newt didn't reply, as if he wanted me to continue talking. 'I did something stupid.'

'What did you do, love?' Newt asked.

'Asked a stupid question.' I looked at the ground.

'What was it?' Newt questioned. His tone was serious and he had no idea what I was talking about.

'I can't tell you. You're gonna get upset.' I said. 'Just like everyone today.'

'I won't get upset.'

'You will.'

'I won't.'

'Newt, I know for sure that you're gonna get angry and upset.'

Newt sighed and didn't reply for a few seconds. 'Ask the 'stupid' question.' He sounded serious.

'Newt-.'

'Just ask it. I won't get upset.'

I sighed and looked down. 'Just forget about it.' I got up from the bed, but Newt grabbed my wrist, almost making me cry at the pain because he held me right on the cuts. He pulled me back down and looked me in the eyes.

'Tell me.'

For a few seconds I was silent, but I had to ask the question sometime. I was curious about it, but asking Newt about it was not a good idea.
'How did you get your limp?' I asked quietly.

A hundred emotions flashed on Newt's face but mostly fear, anger, and sadness.

'I shouldn't have asked.' I saw the sadness in Newt's eyes. He didn't say anything and looked down.

'It's fine.' Newt's breath hitched and his voice sounded hoarse. Obviously it wasn't fine. I made a ton of emotions come back to him. I felt guilty again.

'I'll tell you.' Newt sighed and tapped on the floor with his foot.

'You don't have to.' I quickly said, but I was curious.