26 ~ trust

Out of the many things that irked me, being late was one of them

Out of the many things that irked me, being late was one of them. My running around my house that evening was to avoid being guilty of the crime. Irvin was to be at my house in ten minutes and my hair and makeup were an apology, I hadn't even worn my dress.

I hurriedly put on my bra and panties before sitting by my vanity to do my makeup. Since I didn't have much time, I settled for a more natural look, trying to be as fast as possible. When I was done, I realized I had no time left and was expecting Irvin's call any moment.

I took off my hair bonnet and starting regretting the choice of wearing my hair in a twist out. I caught sight of my wig sitting on my bed through the mirror and contemplated wearing it instead. The thought disappeared when I remembered it was what I wore for our date on Friday night and to work yesterday.

I touched a section of my hair that I'd twisted when my phone rang. It was Irvin. I picked the call with one hand while using the other to work on my hair.

"I'm downstairs." He announced.

"Okay." I hung up.

Because I was in a hurry I manhandled my hair multiple times, leaving me wincing and a dull ache behind. In six minutes I agreed that my hair looked decent enough so I slipped on my black dress and shoes.

"Jewelry." I reminded myself and restrained from face palming myself when I realized I'd nearly forgotten to wear them.

After putting them on, I used my perfume and checked myself one last time in my floor length mirror before heading out, my purse which held the essentials and phone in hand.

I paid no attention to my gate keeper who stood in front of the gate house, watching me.

"I'll soon be back," I said to ease his curiosity.

"Okay madam." He hollered and this time I decided ignored the unnecessarily high volume of his voice. I'd warned him a million times to stop raising his voice when it wasn't necessary.

I felt a pang of guilt in my chest when I walked out of my gate and found Irvin, resting on his car.

He visibly relaxed and a smile stretched on his face. "I was starting to think you wouldn't show up." He stood straighter, opening the door for me.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't calculate my time well." I offered a smile to which he nodded.

"It's fine."

I got into the car and he closed the door. By the time he was back in the car, my seatbelt was already on. I watched the road as he drove to his apartment but it was hard to concentrate with the knowledge of his hand resting on the center console as if waiting for mine to be placed in it. I was really tempted to but the final halt of the car stopped me from embarrassing myself.

His house was big, bigger than mine and looked more expensive. The inside was even more beautiful than I thought. He kept the decorations to a minimum, going for that minimalist style.