25 ~ cinderella

Nonso was the goofy one and he was having fun making constant jabs at Dele for being the only single on in the group

Nonso was the goofy one and he was having fun making constant jabs at Dele for being the only single on in the group. Chioma was a beautiful and polite lady, she was also pregnant, she and Nonso were expecting their second child.

All three of them with Irvin have been friends since secondary school. As they said this, I tried to imagine Irvin as a secondary school boy which made me laugh.

"So how did you two meet?" Dele asked taking a bite out of his burger.

Irvin and I shared a look.

"You should tell them." I said, looking away.

He sighed. "We met at a masked ball." He started.

"Wait, is she the Cinderella?" Nonso asked, surprise written on his face.

"The Cinderella?" I gave Irvin a look of disbelief, but he refused to meet my eyes. "Yo, look at me." I nudged him but he still didn't budge, keeping his gaze anywhere but me.

"Are you guys going to tell me?" I turned back to his friends and they too didn't spare me a glance.

"Chima." I called, slowly turning to him. "Chimaijem." I called his full name, calling each letter with intention.

He finally lifted his head, something unexplainable in his eyes. With a blink it was gone and a flat smile graced his lips. "Given the way we met, I guess it's okay to call you Cinderella.'

"It was a masked ball, in Cinderella it w-" I paused when I realized what he was saying was kind of right. I smiled, "then yes I guess I'm Cinderella." I laughed after the words left my mouth, the entire situation hilarious to me.

"Chima talks about you a-" Irvin stuffed Nonso's food into his mouth stopping him from saying further. The message was however clear and this made my cheeks heat up.

"Enough about us. How's the baby?" Irvin asked, changing the topic of conversation which worked. Chioma and Nonso spoke about the last scan they'd gone to and how the baby was doing so well. They were excited.

The rest of lunch went well and it was exiting meeting new people in Lagos. Irvin offered to give me a ride back to the office. At first I declined but when I remembered I had a meeting to attend in the next twenty minutes, I had no choice than to give in. He probably thought it was because he had really good persuasion skills.

He changed the gear to park when finally in front of my office building. "Thanks for coming out today." He said.

I undid my seat belt, and picked up my purse from my laps. "And thank you for inviting me, I had a nice time." I offered him a smile of gratitude.

"Do you maybe want to-"

"No." I cut in, not wanting to hear the rest of his sentence.

"You didn't even let me finish." He noted.