5 ~ discomfort

I shifted in my seat, trying to get comfortable

I shifted in my seat, trying to get comfortable. I was seated between Julia and the car door and even though I wasn’t being squeezed, it still felt like I was. I just wanted to get this birthday/retirement party over with so I could get back into bed.

My face was caked with makeup despite my constant complaining but Rose didn’t have it and I was forced into a black dress. The off shoulder dress hugged my chest and flowed down to my knees. The top of the dress was covered in silver stones which sparsely scattered down to the rest of the dress. My feet were stuck in a four inch silver heeled sandals.
I unconsciously reached for my silver necklace and my fingers played with it, letting the coolness of the metal sooth me.

Dad pulled up by a gate and seconds after, he was driving into a large compound. The first thing that caught my eye was the water fountain in the middle of the driveway. Water flowed from the top with bright colored lights illuminating it. The compound was scattered with people and big cars. People were dressed to impress in their expensive clothes and loud makeup.

When the car came to a final halt, I was the first to step down from the car, taking in a big breath of fresh air and not the scent of my step-family’s cologne’s.

I waited for everyone to step down from the car before walking side by side with them toward the mansion in front of us. Dad greeted a few people while I focused on not tripping and falling in my heels. I was well acquainted with heels, but today I was extra irritated and when I was irritated I was less functional.

We were very close to the big white doors when it swung open and a couple I guessed were the hosts stepped out. They had grins on their faces and paired with their outfits, the looked like a power couple. The man wore a Tux and for a man of his status I expected to see a rounded belly but I didn’t. Either he had control of what he ate or his wife was his aide. The woman wore a long flowing emerald green dress covered in sequins. She was glowing. Hair and makeup on point. I was already in love.

Her eyes lit up when she saw my father. She stretched her arm forward and my dad stepped into her embrace.

“Daniel, it’s so good to see you again.” She said, patting dad on the back. The age difference between them was less than fifteen years, yet she spoke to dad like she was his mother.

“Mrs. Udo, you look beautiful tonight.” Dad pulled away from the hug. “Happy birthday, ma.”

“Thank you.” She smiled softly at him then her eyes shifted to me, making eye contact with me. I looked away, embarrassed. “And this must be your family.”

“Yes.” Dad stretched his hand forward and Rose stepped into his embrace. “My wife, Rose, her daughters, Jemima and Julia and my daughter, Emily.” Dad introduced.

“Such beautiful names.” Mr. Udo said, his smile still there.

“Thank you, sir,” Jemima, Julia and I chorused.
I tried to keep my face as neutral as possible to hide my irritation.