Chapter Twenty- Two: Part Two.

The men knew what they had to do, what their roles were. I sent three hundred men out into the forest four miles behind the hunters, silently trailing them. Another hundred men had the duty to seal all the exits save for two; the main entrance to the compound and the exit into the forest where the women could be evacuated if everything went wrong.

I stepped down from the podium and walked towards the front door, standing in front of it as I watched the security camera monitor. In the distance thousands of men marched towards our underground facility, armed and ready.

Behind me, the loading bay was filled with the rustling of fabric and the popping and cracking of bones as the men stripped and shifted. The aim was to hit and run. Once they hit, the group would scatter in several directions, attacking stray hunters. They could only chase after a couple of the wolves and while they are preoccupied with protecting themselves and trying to kill the retreating wolves, more will attack.

Rieker knew this tactic well and I know that once he figures out what we are doing he will order his men to regroup. When they do the men behind them will attack in the confusion which will create a domino effect. The hunters will try to run or if they’re stupid enough, fend off the attacks from all sides. When this happens they will be pursued and die.

-

I held up a hand to open the doors as the hunters drew near. I knew that if they got too close, their snipers would be able to take out many of my men. I wouldn’t give them the chance though; they wouldn’t be able to aim properly if their targets were moving too fast to track.

“If you are too slow, they will shoot you. If you are too close, they will shoot you. Kill and then keep moving.” I said to the men as the doors slowly opened. “If the bullet wound doesn’t get you, the silver nitrate will and the poison dipped tips will.” I warned. As the door finally open I pulled off my weapons and shifted. A feeling of calm descended over the men as we watched them approach. We’d trained for this moment for over a year and now that it was upon us, I knew that they were ready. I had done what I could to keep them alive but now it was up to them to survive.

My heart pounded, blood and adrenaline mixed together as the hunters drew nearer. My eyes ran over the mob, searching for one face; the one man I would kill even if it killed me.

I couldn’t see him, I couldn’t smell him but I knew that he was there. I held my wolf back as she pacing inside my head, thirsting for their blood. I watched in anticipation at every step they took, every beat of their hearts, every breath they drew. Soon they would be lying motionless on the floor, unfeeling, unseeing, not breathing. I wanted their hearts beating blood as I devoured them.

My muscles coiled as I crouched, closer they came, closer. I judged the distance with each step. Once they were in range they would unleash a cloud of poisoned silver bullets. Without warning I sprung forward, sprinting towards their lines. Seconds later I heard heavy footfalls behind me. With supernatural speed and agility I threw myself into the fray, a blur of claws and teeth, a deadly combination. I ripped into the hunters before they could fire, disembowelling anyone in my way, tearing them to shreds. My eyes landed on a huge giant of a man who was about to shoot Yiannis who stood metres away. My muscles flexed as I rushed him, knocking the gun out of his grip. Pinning him under my claws I went in for the kill. My powerful jaw clamped around his throat and with one pull I severed his spinal cord and ripped his head off.

Raising my head I looked down the barrel of a gun. The youth holding it was shaking so badly it looked like he was about to drop it. Sweat was pouring down his face which as white with fear, his brown eyes were wide and filled with terror.

A smirk crept onto my face as his arms began shaking with the effort of holding up the gun that as almost as tall as him. I crouched low and growled menacingly, his Adam’s apple bobbed and it looked like he was about to run. I tore at his back as he tucked tail and ran. His blood was sour and coppery with fear and I spat it out as I stood over his broken corpse.