Chapter Fifteen.

“Move faster!” I screamed at Riley as she desperately tried to dodge Jesse.

“I can’t!” She cried in frustration as Jesse once again pinned her; although she had the speed of a vampire, she wasn’t in shape and didn’t know how to use the potential within her. Jesse, I leant, was her best friend and guard. He had black messy hair, fudge brown eyes, a chiselled profile, straight nose and stood at around 6’2”- 6’1”, dwarfing Riley’s 5’4” frame.

I sighed and moved closer, gesturing for them to stop. “Give me three hundred pushups, three hundred crunches and two hundred laps around the clearing. If you don’t do it in half an hour I will tie you to that tree over there,” I said pointing to the tallest tree in the clearing. “By your ankles and wrists and you will assume the plank position until I say you can stop!” She whimpered but nodded and walked away to start the drills.

“Don’t you think that you’re being too hard on her?” Jesse asked standing next to me watching her assume the position to start pushups.

Shaking my head I nodded in her direction. “If I’m not hard on her she won’t learn or get any better. I trained harder than this for eight years and if I didn’t have motivation I would have given up the first day. Her motivation is the thought of independence and the ability to protect herself. She hasn’t had that in so long and I know that even if she only takes away a few pointers, she’ll be that much happier.” 

Nodding he strode over to his friend and gave her encouragement as she finished her fiftieth push up, obviously with the help of her vampiric speed. I could see how determined Riley was an I could tell that she was thinking of all the times she was hurt by Paul, the hits, the slaps, the punches, how motivated she was to be able to protect herself. “Move faster Riley!” I shouted down at her, standing over her next to Jesse.

“I’m trying!” She yelled back at the hundred and fourth pump. Sweat was dripping down her cheek and she was starting to slow.

“Not hard enough! Move faster or I will sit on your back and double the number!” I threatened, knowing it would motivate her. Riley sped up, shaking off her fatigue to soldier on. 

-

“Five! Four! Three! Two! On-,” I smiled as Riley dropped in front of me, dripping sweat as she finished her last lap. 

“Tell me it’s over!” She yelled exhausted, lying on the ground panting.

I gestured for Jesse to help her up and shook my head. “Once you pin Jesse down you can go.”

She shook her head as Jesse hauled her to her feet and helped her stand. “No way! I can’t even walk, let alone fight him!” Her stormy eyes looked at me like I was crazy.

“Fine then, I guess you won’t be getting any sleep tonight.” I said crossing my arms and raising my eyebrow; something I seem to be doing a lot of lately. 

Riley glared at me, challenging me. I held her glare with one of my own and waited for her to surrender; though she may be the queen, she will submit to me. I bow to no one.

“Fine.” She hissed, breaking the glaring contest between us and gesturing for Jesse to help her stand up.

They circled each other, Riley’s fatigue obvious in the way she carried herself and how slow and sluggish her movements were.

Jesse lunged for Riley, but to her credit, she managed to doge him, ducking at the last second. Jesse recovered quickly and soon it became a game of cat and mouse, Jesse lunging and Riley ducking. 

Finally Jesse turned his back for a split second and Riley kicked out his knees, making him fall so she could jump on his back. She did nothing to hold him down, she just lay on his back and I could tell that Jesse had given that small victory to her.