Chapter Twenty- Two: Part One.

I watched with wide eyes as Matthias effortlessly lifted her into his arms and rushed out. What did Marti say?

“Rory?” Alex asked, laying a hand on the small of my back. “Are you alright?”

A feral grin spread over my face. “Fucking amazing.” It was a bitter sweet moment; Rieker would die, of that I was sure, but whether I lived or not, I knew not. “Assemble the men, roster the nurses, and secure a path from the vault to the infirmary, lock down every single every other room and assign guards to make sure that not one hunter gets underground.”

Alex nodded and stalked away. My mind wandered to Marti. She was going to be going through hell for the next day, maybe even two. I knew that Marti would be in a lot of pain and I wished I could take it away but it’s not like taking a bullet; I couldn’t pop her baby out of my vagina for her. There’s nothing I can do for her but make the world a safer place by killing the hunters before they killed us.

-

Pushing open the huge wooden doors leading to the council chambers I was pleased to see Alex had done exactly what I’d ordered. Striding into the chambers I looked around at the men all staring at me. I felt comfortable wearing my standard black pants, black combat boots and a thin black shirt. The familiar weight of the weapons I carried on my body was comforting in a twisted way. I was armed to the teeth and ready for anything.

I strode up the stone steps and stood in front of the men smiling ferociously. “The hunters are coming.” The room went from dead silent to outraged within seconds; they were growling, snarling, swearing and a few looked like they were about to shift. Pulling out my gun, something that seemed to be a regular occurrence in this room I fired three shots into the ceiling.  “Silence!”

“How do you know they are coming? What do we do?”

“We will box them in, while half of our attacking force faces them front on, three hundred other men will sneak past them and attack from behind. They’ll panic, break ranks and make it easier for us to kill them. We will be assigning shifts to guard the infirmary and females in the vault.”

“But we don’t have that man men, the humans will surely outnumber us.”

I smirked, crossing my arms, still holding my gun and smirked. “There are reinforcements coming that the hunters won’t expect. Reinforcements they won’t be able to kill.”

“Who?” Alex asked with curiosity.

I debated whether or not to tell them but I knew that if I didn’t and the battle started when the reinforcements came they would be angry, surprised and confused. “The Drăculești Coven.” I knew that everyone knew that name; they were the worst of the worst. The Drăculești were led by an old friend who I had tipped off about an impending hunter attack, leading to hundreds, probably thousands of human deaths. Rieker was furious and punished me severely, but it was worth the pain. Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia or commonly known as Vlad the Impaler or Dracula is the head of the Drăculești clan and one of the single most terrifying vampires to ever walk the Earth. He was a true monster, but he was a good friend and in times of need I could count on him.  

The hall was filed with cries of outrage and fear. “You cannot be serious Rory!”

“Oh I’m dead serious.” I said looking over the hoard of angry men. “I honestly don’t care what any of you think but if it helps us beat the hunters with minimal casualties I’ll do it. It’s my job to keep you all safe and I intend to do just that.”

“How do you know he and his coven won’t take the chance to wipe us all out while we’re preoccupied?”

I crossed my arms, dangling the gun and shot a look over to Alex. “I was the general of his army in the campaign against the Ottoman Empire or modern day Turkey and his closest friend. I was one of his many executioners, tortured his enemies and saved him and his clan more than once.” I growled. I didn’t like nor appreciate the way they questioned my decisions and leadership. “He will be the deciding factor as to whether you live or die, don’t reject his help hastily. If you treat him and his clan with respect they will do that same.”