Chapter Twenty Two.

“I found an anomaly in his brain that was affecting his memories but other that he was in health physical condition.” I expected nothing less than what I had read from his file. “What do you wish to do with the body?”

I looked down at Dan, his skull broken, though stitched up along with his chest. The blood had been cleaned away and he was as I remembered him, save for the ugly thick black stiches marring his body. I could still remember the light that came into his eyes as he remembered me and it was hard not to punch something. I get y brother back only to kill him.

“Burn his body and spread the ashes over the lake.” I couldn’t give Dan an honourable burial, in fact I should have had his body thrown to the dogs and his head mounted on a stake but I just couldn’t do it. Dan had always loved swimming, especially in lakes and I knew that it would be a final resting place that he would’ve been grateful for.

“I shall to see it luna.” He said.

Giving him a sharp nod I left the medical bay and practically ran towards the mess hall; I was starving and tired. Grabbing a tray I sat alone, eating as much as I physically could.

“Rory!” My head jerked up at the panicked voice of Marti who was waddling towards me with Matthias watching her with eagle eyes. “Jenna’s gone!”

“So? I told you I don’t want anything to do with the brat.” Hiding my smile I shrugged and kept eating. Hunter had actually listened to me and I felt like a load was lifted now that I knew Jenna was out of harm’s way. It hurt, it hurt so bad that I’d never see her again, but at least she was safe and she’d be a happy baby growing up with love and hopefully both her fathers.

Marti’s face contorted in disgust and disappointment. “I thought that there was a chance you said those things in panic, but obviously I was wrong. I thought after a bit of time to think about it you would want to see her, panic that she was gone, but obviously I was wrong. You’re one cold hearted bitch Aurora Tannin. I thought that you were getting better with Nick and Alex but obviously I was wrong.” She hissed. Matthias lay a hand on her arm and whispered calming words to her. I guess he was making sure that Marti didn’t go into labour from the stress I was putting her under. I felt bad, but it was necessary.

I growled and threw down my fork but my fist tightened around the knife. I would never hurt Marti, but it was a warning because I would hurt Matthias. “Getting better?” I hissed. “Getting soft doesn’t make me better; getting soft gets people like me killed.”

“No getting better means that you were becoming more like the old Rory, before Rieker broke you.” She said sadly.

I stood, knocking my chair over and looking her in the eyes with a glare that would make a grown man cry. “Rieker did not break me and he never will. He took away my freedom, my dignity, my innocence, my family but he has never broken my spirit.” I growled. “You may not say such things because you do not know what it is like. You’ve never had to see the light drain from a woman’s eyes as she died, you have never had to orphan a child, kill a child, you’ve never had to tear families apart. You don’t have the blood of innocents on your hands. You don’t live every day in regret and guilt. You have no idea what it is like to know that you’re going to die. You have no right to judge or condemn me because you know nothing.” I spat.

Tears trickled down Marti’s face as she chocked on sobs. I stood tall and looked at Matthias. “I believe that it’s time for Marti to leave. Put her on the same plane as Nightingale.” I ordered, leaving no room for argument. Although she hated me, I wanted Marti safe, far away from here. If I could order Nick and Alex out I would, but they would never leave or back down from a fight. “Put as many children on that flight as possible with them, I want all the children out of here and in Alaska by tomorrow midday.”