Ruffled Feathers

It was late at night and Kurama didn't have school the next day, in fact he was supposed to be meeting with Kuwabara tomorrow. Something about Genkai wanting the old gang back together. However, Crowama was not happy about having to be left alone.

"Why can't I come with you?" the princess protested. She tugged on Kurama's arm as he had his nose in a book. For school or something, Crowama did not care.

Without budging, Kurama responded. "We're meeting in public. Besides," he glances at her. "It would be rude to suddenly bring a plus one, having to explain our situation to Kuwabara."

Crowama sighed and let go of his arm, sinking onto the floor. She rested her chin on Kurama's lap. Lifting her eyes to look at him she asked, "You will tell him about us though, right?"

"Of course."

Kurama had no idea how on earth he was going to bring that up with his curly headed friend. 'Oh by the way, I got engaged to a crow woman. You can bring Yukina along to the wedding.' Now that he thinks about it, that's probably the best way to bring it up. Just rip the band-aid right off. He could almost picture the look on Kuwabara's face.

The fox closes his book and puts it to the side. With his hands free, he places one of them gently on Crowama's head. "Please stand up."

In response Crowama pouted, puffing out her cheeks.

In a swift motion, Kurama drags his hand down the side of her face and under her chin, lifting her head up with his index finger. "Don't be like that," he urged. "I promise I'll tell all my friends about you and then I'll introduce you to them when the time is right. Now come." He moves his hands to the sides of her shoulders and pulls her up to sit on the couch with him.

Rather than sit close to him, Crowama sat a foot away from Kurama. She had her feet up on the couch, tucked under her folded legs. Only her knees touched.  She stared at the ground.

"Come on now," Kurama frowned slightly. "At least look at me." He outstretched his arm to fix her hair, smoothing out her feathers. "You're my pretty bird, do you know that?" He was trying to make her happy again by telling her what he knew she wanted to hear.

However, Crowama still stayed silent  "Well," Kurama continued. "Don't you have friends to talk to?"

She scrunched up her face in thought. "Not really... No. But I can think of at least one." A certain oni girl she almost stole the husband of. Lum the invader.

"See? Why don't you go talk to her while I'm out tomorrow." Kurama suggested.

Crowama eased up a bit, comfortably sinking into the cushions of the couch. "I think I will." Lum and herself aren't exactly friends, but they were well aquatinted due to... Certain circumstances to say the least. They keep meeting up numerous times. At the very least, Crowama could relate to being an alien on earth to Lum. Perhaps Lum could give her some pointers on being a wife.

Kurama retracted his hand from fixing her hair and placed his hand on her thigh. "That settles that then. I'm not sure when I'll be back, but you know how to find your way back home. You can wait for me here if you get back early."

"Mm."

Something still seemed off about Crowama's attitude but Kurama let it be. He tried his best, she just needed some time to come around.

★★★

That morning, the two parted ways and Crowama returned to Tombiki Town with her crow servants. Now all there was to do was find Lum. School was out so there was no use looking for her there but Crowama thought she might try anyway. The other crows split up to look for the green haired alien.

She used her leaf to summon wind beneath her feet so that she may fly around. She looks through the windows to see if she could spot anyone she recognized. "Lum... Are you here? Lum— huh?"

Passing by one of the windows Crowama spots a familiar group of Lum's admirers. Many of which she never learned the names for, but she did know of one. Shuutaro Mendou. Someone else Crowama was about to marry but didn't turn out so well.

Flying up to the window, Crowama gently tapped on the glass with her knuckles. The group of boys turn to face her in shock. Shuutaro nearly keeled over. Quickly, the slick haired boy regained his composure and ran to open the window.

"K-kurama?" the boy stuttered. "Have you come back for me?"

With her finger, Crowama shoves it into Shuutaro's forehead and pushes him back into the room so that she may step inside. "No way, you're all beauty and no brain. I'm looking for Lum."

"Lum?" Shuutaro echoed, suddenly being reminded of his first love. Somehow his expression went from dumbfounded to even more surprised. He moved some more to give Crowama some space.

"I need to tell her that I'm getting married." Crowama announces.

"MARRIED?!" this time all the boys spoke at once. Crowama almost forgotten that they were here. Shuutaro was devastated.

She nods. "Now Lum, where is she?"

While Shuutaro recovered, a boy with glasses— Megane— spoke for him. "She'd be at the Moroboshi residence. Would you like us to take you there?" If he were to be honest, he just wanted an excuse to see Lum.

The princess shook her head, adamant that she'd rather go alone. "Just give me the directions, I'll be fine." She didn't want to be around this bunch longer than she needed to be. What were they doing at school on a Saturday anyway?

Respecting her wishes, the boys gave her an address and Crowama was on her way.