Chapter 4 - The Bet

Ohm

"Dad I need you to help me talk to dean." I said to dad on the breakfast table. I had to miss my morning practice to be able to talk to him.

"About?" He said without looking up.

I turned to look at mom who shrugged and smiled at me knowing very well what I want. But as expected, she won't help me.

"Dad, I want to get into Nationals this year. And this scoring system this time is going to ruin it for me." I said applying butter for the second time on the same bread. I am actually not here for breakfast.

I just want him to help me out. I hardly ask them anything to do for me. So this should be fine right?

Dad finally kept his ipad on side and looked at me. "Good. So finally they took my suggestion into consideration."

I looked at him dumbfounded for a moment before asking. "What?"

Dad looked at mom and then again at me. "Ohm, forget about basketball. It's time for you to focus on business."

I threw the butter knife and bread on plate and got up instantly. "It was you who told them to get this goddamn rule?"

"Language Ohm!" my mom glared at me.

"Oh please. All you guys think about is business and etiquettes." I snapped.

"Ohm!" Dad almost screamed at me, making all the servants to turn and look at me. "Like Jom, you too have to go and study abroad. I am not going to tolerate any more of your nonsense here." He said in a stern tone.

I looked at him and clenched my jaw.

"UNDERSTAND?" He screamed.

"NO!" I screamed back this time.

*Slap*

Before I could even realize, my dad slapped me.

I kept a hand on the ear and cheek which went numb for a while and then turned to him. "I-won't-ever-get-into-your-business." I said looking down pressing each word while gritting my teeth.

"OHM!" This time my mother screamed. I swallowed the lump in my throat so that I can stop my tears of embarrassment and disappointment. And then slowly looked up at my mother instead of my dad. "I will get into nationals by the time I graduate." I promised them more like a challenge and threw the table napkin in my hand on the floor before leaving the house with my bike keys in hand.

I was about to reach campus when my phone started vibrating.

I stopped aside and took out my phone from my pocket and saw Jom's name flashing on screen.

I took a deep breath and picked up the call.

"Mom is real-quick in terms of complaining huh?" I said immediately after picking up. I tried to laugh but it sounded more like sarcasm.

[Ohm... Do you want me to talk to your dean?]

"What? You'll do that?"

[I am sure he won't refuse one of his best alumni's?] Jom chuckled.

I laughed along.

[I am sorry Ohm.]

"What the hell are you sorry for?"

[For not being there with you.]

"Ha! As if I miss you." I really, really do.

[You don't need me but I do need to see you smiling, ok? Give me the number. I'll call.]