Chapter 34

Thorin, Bilbo, Balin, and Rosa run out onto the bridge they were previously. "This way!"
  "Flee, flee! Run for your lives! There is nowhere to hide." Smaug growls going at the four, but stops hearing another sound behind him.
  He turns at another sound to see Dori, Ori, and Bombur running on another bridge  "Behind you!" Dori shouts at him
  Smaug looks at them, then lunges toward them. They turn and run.
  "Come on!"
  As Smaug chases Dori, Ori, and Bombur. Thorin, Bilbo, Balin, and Rosa continue across the bridge. Suddenly, the third group, Dwalin, and Nori, run across another bridge
  "Hey, you! Here!" Dwlain shouts to him

  Smaug turns and jumps at them. They run off the bridge and into a tunnel just before Smaug's claw lands where they were. Gloin, and Bifur, use this chance to run across a bridge and make it into a tunnel as well. Angrily, Smaug blows fire after them. He blows rapidly in an arc all around him, into all the tunnels. His fire causes the stones beneath Gloin and Bifur to start heating up. The two reach a cliff and leap into the air, landing in large troughs which they slide down. They land in the buckets of a large hanging conveyor belt system that was used for mining. Meanwhile, Balin, Thorin, Bilbo, and Rosa run through a large hallway. Balin turns into a side tunnel, but Thorin continues forward with Bilbo at his heels.
  "It's this way! This way! Come on!"
  "Bilbo!"
  Bilbo stops by the tunnel "Thorin!" he calls out to home as Thorin was still running.
  Thorin stops turning and begins to go back to the three, but stops suddenly. They all see Smaug at the end of the hallway.
  "Follow Balin!" Throin shouts to him
  "Thorin!"
  "Come on!" Balin pulls Bilbo into the side tunnel just as Smaug's chest glows orange and he unleashes his fire throughout the hall. Thorin runs the other way and leaps into the air, falling into a deep pit. He catches onto a chain with a bucket at the end of it, and it begins descending just as Smaug leaps into the pit as well. Smaug claws his way down the tunnel, snapping at Thorin on the chain.
  Dwalin runs up to the mouth of the pit. "Thorin!" He shouts then smashes his axe into the machinery holding the chain Thorin is holding on to, and the chain stops descending abruptly. Beside Dwalin, a heavy holding bucket on the other end of the same chain begins descending rapidly, causing Thorin's chain to fly upward. Thorin soars upward, narrowly missing Smaug's head. Smaug turns and manages to grab the end of Thorin's chain, stopping its movement. Smaug pulls down, at the machinery holding the chain at the top of the pit breaks free of its moorings and falls into the pit. Hit chain slack, Thorin falls and lands right on the tip of Smaug's closed mouth. He stands on Smaug's top lip as Smaug growls and opens his mouth; fire rising up his neck. Just as Smaug snaps closed his mouth to eat Thorin, Thorin leaps to the side and grabs another chain. Smaug turns to bite him, but the falling machinery strikes him in the face knocking him down. Nori, at the top of the pit, hits another machine, and its gears spin rapidly, pulling Thorin on his chain rapidly upward. Smaug roars at this and blows smoke straight up the pit after Thorin. Thorin manages to reach the top and throw himself on a ledge just as the fire erupts beside him.
  He stumbles over to Nori. "Go! Go!"
  Thorin and Nori run through narrow slits between tall, stone pillars and join the other dwarves and Bilbo.
  "The plan's not going to work. These furnaces are stone cold." Dwalin motions to the several massive dwarf furnaces
  "He's right; there's no fire hot enough to set them ablaze," Balin says as they look at the furnaces are all dark, with no sign of fire within that, they are stone cold.
  "Have we not?" Thorin turns back toward the pit. "I did not look to see you so easily outwitted!" He says as Smaug begins to emerge from the pit, his body following it. "You have grown slow and fat in your dotage." Thorin continues
  Smaug begins snarling angrily at Thorin.
  "Slug."

  As Smaug snarls and advances upward, Thorin gets behind a pillar and yells to the others to do the same. "Take cover. Go!"
They all rush behind pillars just as Smaug unleashes his flame at them. The fire goes past the pillars and reaches all the way to the furnaces. The Group, though not in the direct path of the fire, feels pain, the heat, and the pressure. As Smaug stops, fire suddenly comes out of the bottoms of the furnaces, and they begin glowing and working. Smaug growls in confusion and anger. 
  Everyone runs from the pillars as Smaug begins battering at the latticework with his head. They begin to bend under Smaug's tremendous strength.

  "Bombur! Get those bellows working. Go!"
  Bombur nods then runs and leaps onto a chain next to a forge. The chain slides down with his weight, and he lands on the handle of a massive bellows. The bellows compress and blast air into the furnace, which exhumes bright blue flames. On top of the furnaces is a massive pile of unrefined gold, at least 10 yards in diameter. Thorin turns and sees the latticework continue to bend from Smaug's bashing.
  "Bilbo, Rosa!" Thorin calls to the two and he points them toward a lever high up on a mound "Up there, on my mark, you two pull that lever."
  The two nod and begins running toward it. The dwarves run toward the forges as the latticework begins to break. 
  "Balin, can you still make some flash-flame?" Thorin asks backing up to him
  "Aye. It'll only take a jiffy." Balin tells him, he then runs grabbing some of the other dwarves to help him. "Come on!"
  As Balin runs off, Dwalin looks at the latticework, which is bending dangerously from Smaug's blows. "We don't have a jiffy."