Chapter 31

The door opens into a tunnel going into the mountain. The dwarves look on in awe as Thorin stands on the threshold. "Erebor."
  "Thorin..." Balin stops getting choked up, and Thorin puts a hand on his shoulder.
Thorin then steps into the mountain. "I know these walls...these walls, this stone. You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light." Thorin runs his hands over the walls, lost in memory.
  Balin steps into the tunnel. "I remember."
  The rest of the Company slowly and reverently enters the mountain. Inside, Nori points at a carving in the wall above the door; it is of the throne of Erebor, with the Arkenstone above it, sending out rays of light in all directions.
  "Here in lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home." Gloin reads aloud the inscription on the carving.
  Bilbo and Rosa look at the carving with interest and curiosity.
  "The throne of the king," Blain explains to them
  "Oh. And what's that above it?" Bilbo asks pointing to a stone-shaped carving
  "The Arkenstone."
  "Arkenstone....and what's that?"
  "That, Master Burglar, is why you are here."
  All the dwarves look at Bilbo and Rosa, and Bilbo looks bewildered.

  As Blain guides The two hobbits further into a tunnel leading to the interior of the mountain, the company walks back outside to wait.
  "You want us to find a jewel?"
  "A large white jewel, yes."
  "That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there."
  "There is only one Arkenstone. You'll know it when you see it."
  "Alright."
  Balin begins to walk back down the tunnel but then pauses. "In truth, lad, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to, there's no dishonor in turning back."
  "No, Balin, we promised to do this, and I think we must try. Right, Rosa?"
  Rosa nods in agreement. Balin looks at them, then begins to chuckle appreciatively. "It never ceases to amaze me."
  "What's that?"
  "The Courage of Hobbits. Go now with as much luck as you two can muster."
  They nod at each other, and Bilbo and Rosa proceed down the tunnel.
  Balin starts to leave but stops turning back  Oh, and Bilbo, Rosa...if there is, in fact, a live dragon down there, don't waken it."
  Bilbo looks worried but nods.
  "Rosa wait here," Bilbo whispers after Blain left
  "What no way. If you think I'm going to let you face Smaug alone you crazy."
  "No as your brother I won't let you get hurt."
  "Bilbo Stop it! I'm not a little girl. I would like for you to stop acting and treating me as if I am one." Rosa nearly shouts then sighs placing a hand on his shoulder "Yes your my brother that's all the more reason I want to do this with you."
  Bilbo frowned but nods then smiles at her. The two began tiptoeing toward Smaug's lair.

  The two quietly walk through a large doorway and finds themselves in a massive hall. 
  "Hello?" Bilbo whispers, then knocks quietly on the wall beside him, but the sound is intensified loudly as it echoes, and he jumps and presses himself against the wall in shock. Seeing no reaction to the noise, "You're not at home. Not at home. Good. Good, good, good." he says as he and Rosa walk out into the hall.

  Rosa runs into Bilbo, at the top of a staircase. Confused She looks around to see why and then notices the mountains of gold, jewels, weapons, cups, and all sorts of treasure piled dozens of feet high throughout the immensely massive hall. The two climb down the stairs and carefully begin to walk atop the treasure. the two begin to poke around, looking for the Arkenstone.
  Bilbo finds a large white jewel and examines it. "What's that?" He shakes the jewel and continues examining it; deciding that it's not the Arkenstone, he carelessly throws it aside, then jumps when it clatters and makes a lot of noise. This has Rosa looking over at Bilbo. He gives her a nervous smile and mouths a sorry. She shakes her head as they continue to look around. "Arkenstone, Arkenstone...a large, white jewel. Very helpful." Bilbo mumbled to himself looking around at the treasure. 

  The two continue to comb through the gold not seeing the Arkenstone. Bilbo climbs up a mountain of gold. He picks up a golden cup, and this action starts a small avalanche of coins. Bilbo looks up and sees the coins falling away to reveal Smaug's eye, which is shut. Bilbo grabs Rosa's hand and pulls them behind a stone pillar in fright. All is silent, and it seems like Smaug is still asleep. Suddenly, Smaug snorts, and the treasure around his nose falls away, revealing it. Bilbo, panting, slowly tries to make his way down the pile of gold, but stops short when he realizes that Smaug's body is buried in a large circle around where he is standing. The gold all along Smaug's body begins to ripple as he awakens. Bilbo takes a few steps, then pauses and kneels as Smaug begins to raise his head, his eye still closed. As Smaug opens his eye, Bilbo runs and dives behind a pile of gold to hide. Rosa just stands there As Smaug's eye looks around, Bilbo reaches into his pocket and pulls out the Ring. He looks at it for several seconds, then looks up as Smaug begins to raise his head. He puts the Ring on and becomes invisible. Smaug raises his head and sniffs the air smiling seeing Rosa.