Chapter 18

As the White Warg growls, Azog strokes it and talks ominously in black speech (Do you smell it? The scent of fear?) He says sniffing the air (I remember your father reeked of it, Thorin son of Thrain.) he smiles evilly at Thorin
Thorin looks stricken with pain and grief "It cannot be."
Azog turns and speaks to his Wargs and Riders. (That one is mine.) He tells them pointing to Thorin (Kill the others!)
At that, the Wargs leap forward and try to climb the trees. They jump as high as they can, scrabbling at the tree trunks and breaking apart branches in their jaws in their efforts. The trees shake violently at the assault, and the dwarves struggle to hold on.
(Drink their blood!) Azog shouts
As the assault continues the weight of the Wargs climbing the furthest tree from the edge of the cliff, which Bilbo and several other dwarves are in, gets uprooted from the ground and begins leaning wildly. As more Wargs grab onto it, the tree tips over and lands on the next tree; the company jumps from the falling tree to the next. However, this tree as well tips over; like dominoes, all the trees begin falling over. All the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf manage to jump onto the last tree, on the edge of the cliff. This tree doesn't fall over.

This makes Azog laugh. Looking around in desperation, Gandalf spies a pinecone. He grabs it and uses his staff to set the pinecone on fire; he then throws it down amid the Wargs, who retreat in fear of the fire. Azog is startled and angry at the unexpected resistance. Gandalf lights two more pinecones "Fili!" Gandalf shouts throwing a flaming pinecone to him. Fili catches the pinecone.

Soon Bilbo, Rosa, and the dwarves gather pinecones and Gandalf sets them on fire; they then begin throwing the flaming pinecones at the Wargs. All the area around the tree gets set on fire, forcing the Wargs to retreat a distance. At least one Warg gallops away with its fur alight. Azog roars in anger and frustration as the dwarves cheer. Suddenly, their cheers turn into cries of fear as the roots of the tree they are in start to give way; the tree tips precariously over the edge of the cliff, but comes to a rest sticking straight out away from the edge of the cliff. Gandalf looks down and sees the ground far, far, below. The dwarves try to hold on as they get flung around.

Thorin, clinging to the tree, looks at him in hate and anger. Thorin pulls himself up, his sword drawn, and walks down the leaning trunk as Bilbo and the others, hanging from the tree, look on. Thorin runs through the burning ground at Azog and his White Warg. Azog spreads his arms wide with a smug grin on his face. Thorin growls as he runs with his sword up and his oaken branch shield held in front of him. Azog crouches and then roars as his Warg leaps at Thorin. Thorin tries to swing his sword, but the Warg hits him in the chest with its forepaw, smashing Thorin to the ground. The company looked on in shock. As Thorin gets back on his feet, panting, Azog and his White Warg wheel around; they charge at Thorin again. Azog swings his mace and smashes Thorin in the face before Thorin can react. Thorin is brutally flung to the ground by the impact.
"Nooo!"
Azog roars in excitement. The White Warg clamps its jaws around Thorin making him yell in pain. Dwalin tries to get off and tree to assist Thorin, but the tree branches he is holding on to break, swinging him precariously over the edge and preventing him from reaching Thorin. "Thorin! Nooo!" He shouts in distress

As the White Warg holds Thorin in its mouth, Thorin manages to hit its head with the pommel of his sword. This makes the White Warg throw him several feet away onto a flat rock nearby. Thorin lands heavily, his sword falling out of his hand. He is almost unconscious. (Bring me the Dwarf's head.) Azog look at one of Azog's Warg Riders. He jumps off and approaches Thorin.
The orc approaches Thorin and places its sword against his neck; raising the sword, the rider prepares to decapitate Thorin. As he swings his sword down, Rosa rushes him, throws herself at the orc, and knocks him over. She tries fighting but is overpowered by the orc and he throws her to the side into a rock knocking her out.