Chapter 15

I didn't understand how Regina managed to keep up with this lifestyle. Killian was sitting across me with a scowl on his face. I'd rarely seen him this angry. He was staring at his phone, at a picture he'd shown me just seconds ago.

Regina and I hadn't kissed. There hadn't even been the slightest hint that we would kiss, but our moment, outside of my apartment, had been captured. Someone had taken a photo of us hugging and staring at each other and somehow, yet again, this news was in all gossip magazines and social media posts.

"Regina Mills has a new girlfriend?, America's biggest star in love? Regina Mills is queer?!?! What is this crap, Emma?" I shifted in my seat. It were all lies. Two days ago, Regina and I had hugged. That had been all. I'd never cheat on Killian, I loved him and I hated that I was being blamed for gossips some trashy magazine printed.

"I told you, Killian, it's not true. Regina isn't in love with me and I am in love with you. You don't have to worry. There is nothing going on between the two of us," I said. I was repeating words from earlier, but Killian still refused to believe it.

"She was touching you all night, when we were in Granny's. She couldn't keep her eyes off you."

"We're friends, Killian. You know I'd never cheat on you. Stop worrying so much." I was actually annoyed at this point. Killian refused to let it go. All he did was stare at the photo of Regina and me that, even though I hated it, was actually pretty beautiful.

She was looking at me with adoration and care. I hadn't noticed the way she looked at me, until I'd seen this photo. If it hadn't gotten Killian so angry, I would've framed it. We both looked great.

"I'm done having this discussion, Killian. I'm tired and I want to go to bed. It's late," I said.

I hadn't had any difficult conversations with Killian, the past two days. I'd refused to confront him about the apartment, because if I ignored all the nagging feelings and twisted pain in my stomach, everything was okay. I didn't want things to change, because for the first time in my life I'd had a relationship last longer than a year and I'd hate to ruin that over some silly suspicions.

"Look, Emma, I'm sorry," Killian said. "I just don't want to lose you. I love you too much, you know?"

He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my temple. He smelled strong, like rum. He never drank rum on days other than Friday, but apparently today had been an exception.

"You need to sleep, too. You really have a shot at the job interview tomorrow," I replied and wriggled myself out of his embrace. Without another word, I left to the bedroom.

~~~~

Killian: im staying at my own place tonight so dont worry when you get home xx

My shift had just ended, seconds ago. I took off my apron in a haste and left Granny's Diner as quickly as I could. I hurried home and recognized Killian in the distance. He was leaving the building and I wanted to follow him. So I did.

I didn't trust Killian anymore. Regina had been right to ask me that, even though it'd been incredibly confrontational. Killian was walking towards his old apartment building and even though his landlord had told me he'd given up rent, I still hoped he was heading that way. Until he took a right when he should've gone left.

Every part of my body told me I shouldn't go after him, but my mind didn't listen. I needed to know how he spent his time when he was away from me. He'd barely spoken to me since he'd seen the photo of me and Regina, last Sunday. He was still angry about that, but I had the feeling I was about to get very angry at him.