Chapter 21: Camp Half-Blood

“Hi, I’m Chiron. Nice to meet you, you must be Camille, the one Travis was talking about last week.” Chiron welcomed me in a large house.  I glanced at Travis and he just shoved his hands in his pockets and went in with Chiron.  I followed them from behind.

“Hey, look! Meeeeh! A new member!”  A goat-man shouted.  I looked at him then at Travis.  He seemed to read either my mind or my shocked face, “He’s a satyr, not a goat man.”

“Welcome to Camp Half-Blood! Meeeeh! I am Grover Underwood, a satyr, not a goat man.”  He smiled and took out his hand for a handshake.  I gladly accepted his hand with a smile.  “Hey, I read about you before. In Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series! I’m Camille Cassidy, by the way.”  I exclaimed.

“Wow, really? Rick’s so cool! Meeeeeh! He made us famous. You should’ve been here when he was writing those books. Those were based on true story by the way. Wait, if you’re reading his books, then why do you think I’m a goat-man?”

“I was just shocked.”, I explained, embarrassed, “How about the Egyptian mythology? Did he research about that or is he related to that too?”

“One of the Egyptians is his best friend. Meeehehehe! Camille, since you’ve read Rick’s books already, I guess you’re already familiar with this place.”

“Sort of. I guess.”  I smiled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll still give you a map, just in case.”  Grover went to the drawers and opened one that’s on his eye level.  He got a roll and handed it to me.  I thanked him and Travis led me to my cabin, which is also his cabin.  He explained the rules to me and told me where I’ll be sleeping.

“Thanks.”  I told him.

“No problem. We’ll be having our trainings after you unpack.”  He turned to leave the room but suddenly, I blurted out something that I didn’t expect to say, “Wait, Travis…”

“Yes?”  He turned around.  There’s no turning back now.  “How can you say that I’m the one you’re looking for when you just met me?”  I asked.  He drew himself near.  His hands brushed mine.  His face kept coming closer to mine.  It was as if he was going to kiss me but he stopped short.  His lips turned to the direction of my ear then whispered, which sent tingles to the tips of my fingers, “It’s because I’ve been told that I’ll be locked with someone. I have this curse, which only one girl can break. I am destined only for that girl, whether she is taken at the moment or not and I would immediately know when I already met her.”

“Curse? Who told you about this?”  I asked.  I felt like a great obligation suddenly was dropped on my shoulders.  He took a step back and looked into my eyes, “I don’t know. I can’t remember. It seems like a dream when I knew about it.”  He squeezed my arm and said, “Stop thinking about it. Go fix your things. I’ll wait for you outside. Oh, and by the way, we are the only ones in this cabin.”  Travis flashed his cool smile and walked out of the cabin.

We are the only ones in this cabin?  What if he tries to do something to me?  I wonder how my days in Camp Half-Blood will be.  I wonder if my dad and brother are worried about me.  If they are, will they call the police and report that I’m missing or do they know about this side of the story?  How about Kaleb?  How can I tell him that I’m hurt and I want to put an end to everything?  I remember Rick Riordan’s book.  He said that telephones, cellphones or any other contacting devices are dangerous for demigods.  How am I supposed to tell them?

I pushed those thought away and started unpacking my things.  I found myself a pink cabinet.  Why does Travis have a pink cabinet here?  Is he expecting me?  I put every single thing in place and went out.  I saw Travis Stanwood leaning on the wall beside the door with his arms crossed.  He was whistling a tune called “At the Beginning”.  He didn’t seem to notice when I walked out of the cabin because he kept on staring at the mountains.  I snapped him back to reality.

“Huh? What’s happening?”  He shook his head and looked at me, “Oh, you’re done. Let’s go. Follow me.”  He led me to the fields and asked me, “What would you like to practice? Archery or magic?”

“Magic, of course.”

“I see. The spell room is at the main house.”  He tugged my hand and led me to the main house.  I receive a lot of stares as we passed by.  I realized that the main house is also the office of Chiron.  He was writing or recording something when we entered the house.  He raised his head when he heard our footsteps, “Hi Travis and Camille. Just in time. I have some business for you. I have researched about your mother, Camille. She does have a high position before. It’s sad to see it fall to a wrong person’s hands. Well, before everything else, we’re going to consult the Oracle. I wonder where Rachel Elizabeth Dare is.”  Chiron called her name out a couple of times until she came running.

“Woah. Woah. What’s the hurry?”  She asked.  Beads of sweat were tricking down her neck, she was holding a spatula on her right hand and was wearing a panda apron.  Obviously, she was cooking something.

“Rachel, I want you to meet Camille, granddaughter of Morpheus.”  Chiron introduced me to Rachel then Rachel to me, “Camille, this is Rachel. She’s our Oracle. She is the one who replaced the mummy that breathes green smoke.”

“Let’s begin,” Chiron said, “Rachel, you may proceed.”

“Wait, it’s not yet time. Your fried chicken legs are almost burning. I should tend to it first. Wait for a few minutes, I’ll be right back.”  Rachel ran back the kitchen.  Chiron shrugged and turned to us, “Please take your seat first or you may use the pool table since it’s available at this time.”

“Chiron, I want to introduce her to the spell master first while waiting for Rachel.”  Travis said.  Chiron hesitated and said, “Camille must know her prophecy first before anything else.”

“Okay.”  Travis said.  We turned to seat on the sofas then suddenly we heard a scream from the kitchen.  “Rachel!”  A guy shouted.  Chiron turned and galloped to the other room.  We also rushed to see what’s happening.  Travis and I stood by the doorway and saw Rachel lying on the floor with an arrow sticking out of her stomach.

“How did this happen? You must get her to the infirmary at this very moment!”  Chiron shouted.  Two guys brought in a stretcher and as they were moving Rachel to the stretcher, green mist suddenly escaped her mouth and her eyes turned green.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the super long wait guys!:))

-Lyxen (a.k.a. Cayle Cooper)